Moving hives ...pulling the pin...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
So I should start by stating I am in my third year as a trainee beekeeper. I only have a small number of hives. So my practical knowledge is limited. I recognise this.

But I am feeling a little frisky tonight and think that the thread that may follow could help others in the future - when searching the forum for advice on moves.

At some time or other a reasonable proportion of newish beekeepers have to face the dilemma of moving hives to locations less than 3 miles away. Naturally they panic about whether they need to find a temporary out apiary for a month and worry about how to prepare for the move.

Often the move is forced on them by unforeseen circumstances (usually inexperience makes them legitimately blind). This describes my experience.

They have read the books and have heard of the 3 feet or 3 mile rule and so feel pressured. I did.

I want to try and help them to make an informed decision about what to do. If I fail then others may add to the thread.

Usually these 'rules' are not to be trifled with but usually they need clarification too. We know that bees have a wide foraging distance and that 3 miles is well within range but often bees forage in a smaller range if possible. We know they learn the lie of the land and carry some form of mental map of the landscape and can adjust for the time of day and can still locate home.

But whether you can move a colony directly to a new location under 3 miles away depends on a number of factors, I have found. All of which need assessing for your own circumstances. Understanding these issues will help you determine the best course of action for your situation.

Landscape
One of the biggest influences is the landscape between the two locations. If there are open fields with limited hedges between the locations you are more likely to have bees return to the old hive location than if there are more complex structures in the way. The topology is easier to read and the amount of energy needed to overcome or navigate through barriers is relatively low.

I moved two strong colonies 1 mile without issue and with only a few returning bees. My landscape consisted of a local spinney, open fields, and a dense layer of woodland some 500 yards deep at a distance of 500 yards from the new location. There was considerable effort required by the bees to navigate through/over the woodland and reach the old location. Most found alternative employment locally and didn't use their energy up trying to go 'home'.
The nature of the landscape is tied to the available forage.

Forage
If there is an abundance of forage near to the new location and a complex landscape it seems the bees make an easy decision to stay local. Again they have no need to expend all their energy seeking the old location.
If you move your colonies to a new location try and choose one with good forage. If you don't have OSR, Beans, etc you may even cheat a little by giving the bees some feed after the move so keeping a proportion very local indeed. You are trying to maximise the strength of the foragers within the colony.
You need to consider the desirability of local forage to persuade your bees to stay local.

Strength of colony
There are two aspects of this you need to consider - total size and size of sealed brood.
You need to consider whether your colony is strong enough to keep the brood nest warm if a proportion of foragers were lost (in a sense similar to a swarm). If you have a strong colony then if other factors are not ideal you may still choose to make a direct move as you may have a big enough colony to cope with some losses or it may be better to be cautious if the colony is small.
The amount of capped brood is important too. If you have a large amount then your bees may recover from a poor move (should it come to that) more quickly by releasing bees to become foragers sooner. So helping with the adjustment to the new location.
The size of the colony will be affected by the time of the year.

Time of year
This has an impact on the amount of forage, the size of the colony, and the average temperature and weather.

If you can make the move in spring with OSR then that is great if your bees are suffering a June gap then perhaps a direct move will carry more risk.

If the colony numbers are low either because it is spring or late Autumn then this adds risk to a direct move.

Oddly enough a direct move in bad weather seems often to be a benefit. A few days of confinement seems to help them re-orientate...well it seemed that way with my bees. Placing a bushy branch over the entrance thus forcing the bees up into the air helps them re-orientate at their new location too. I remove it after about 4 days.

So if you consider these factors for your situation it may well be possible to determine the level of risk associated with a direct move of less than 3 miles. Rather than always try to find a distant out apiary you may choose to make a direct move and know what to expect. If you are forced into such a move then assessing these factors may help you plan contingencies or put your mind at ease.

I have done 2 sets of less than 3 mile direct moves and have been very successful. Clearly it isn't my years of experience and I am not the bee whisperer so what was it?

It wasn't luck but rather the combination of landscape, time of year and forage. My second set of moves were 1.5 miles to a location with OSR on the doorstep. Not a single bee was found from 2 hives back at the original location. The bees had no reason to struggle away from their immediate vicinity.

I hope that this helps you assess your moves and think about what might influence the success of your move. I am sure there are other factors too but this is my starter for 10.

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:
That's very useful Sam thanks.

It would be interesting if someone has dine similar in an urban environment to tell of their experiences.

Very useful info, I am looking at moving some hives less than 3 miles at some point this year!

Thanks

So I should start by stating I am in my third year as a trainee beekeeper. I only have a small number of hives. So my practical knowledge is limited. I recognise this.

But I am feeling a little frisky tonight and think that the thread that may follow could help others in the future - when searching the forum for advice on moves.

At some time or other a reasonable proportion of newish beekeepers have to face the dilemma of moving hives to locations less than 3 miles away. Naturally they panic about whether they need to find a temporary out apiary for a month and worry about how to prepare for the move.

Often the move is forced on them by unforeseen circumstances (usually inexperience makes them legitimately blind). This describes my experience.

Posting this up as have had a few new beekeeperers ask me if they need to move their new nucs of bees 3 miles away from the breeders site as they live only 1/2 miles away from the breeders apiary... and if so how long should they leave them there ( 3 miles away) before bringing them back?

I could see the scenario of "Homing Bees"!!! and did not feel competent to give advice... landscape in this instance is fairly flat and open

They have read the books and have heard of the 3 feet or 3 mile rule and so feel pressured. I did.

I want to try and help them to make an informed decision about what to do. If I fail then others may add to the thread.

Usually these 'rules' are not to be trifled with but usually they need clarification too. We know that bees have a wide foraging distance and that 3 miles is well within range but often bees forage in a smaller range if possible. We know they learn the lie of the land and carry some form of mental map of the landscape and can adjust for the time of day and can still locate home.

But whether you can move a colony directly to a new location under 3 miles away depends on a number of factors, I have found. All of which need assessing for your own circumstances. Understanding these issues will help you determine the best course of action for your situation.

Landscape
One of the biggest influences is the landscape between the two locations. If there are open fields with limited hedges between the locations you are more likely to have bees return to the old hive location than if there are more complex structures in the way. The topology is easier to read and the amount of energy needed to overcome or navigate through barriers is relatively low.

I moved two strong colonies 1 mile without issue and with only a few returning bees. My landscape consisted of a local spinney, open fields, and a dense layer of woodland some 500 yards deep at a distance of 500 yards from the new location. There was considerable effort required by the bees to navigate through/over the woodland and reach the old location. Most found alternative employment locally and didn't use their energy up trying to go 'home'.
The nature of the landscape is tied to the available forage.

Forage
If there is an abundance of forage near to the new location and a complex landscape it seems the bees make an easy decision to stay local. Again they have no need to expend all their energy seeking the old location.
If you move your colonies to a new location try and choose one with good forage. If you don't have OSR, Beans, etc you may even cheat a little by giving the bees some feed after the move so keeping a proportion very local indeed. You are trying to maximise the strength of the foragers within the colony.
You need to consider the desirability of local forage to persuade your bees to stay local.

Strength of colony
There are two aspects of this you need to consider - total size and size of sealed brood.
You need to consider whether your colony is strong enough to keep the brood nest warm if a proportion of foragers were lost (in a sense similar to a swarm). If you have a strong colony then if other factors are not ideal you may still choose to make a direct move as you may have a big enough colony to cope with some losses or it may be better to be cautious if the colony is small.
The amount of capped brood is important too. If you have a large amount then your bees may recover from a poor move (should it come to that) more quickly by releasing bees to become foragers sooner. So helping with the adjustment to the new location.
The size of the colony will be affected by the time of the year.

Time of year
This has an impact on the amount of forage, the size of the colony, and the average temperature and weather.

If you can make the move in spring with OSR then that is great if your bees are suffering a June gap then perhaps a direct move will carry more risk.

If the colony numbers are low either because it is spring or late Autumn then this adds risk to a direct move.

Oddly enough a direct move in bad weather seems often to be a benefit. A few days of confinement seems to help them re-orientate...well it seemed that way with my bees. Placing a bushy branch over the entrance thus forcing the bees up into the air helps them re-orientate at their new location too. I remove it after about 4 days.

So if you consider these factors for your situation it may well be possible to determine the level of risk associated with a direct move of less than 3 miles. Rather than always try to find a distant out apiary you may choose to make a direct move and know what to expect. If you are forced into such a move then assessing these factors may help you plan contingencies or put your mind at ease.

I have done 2 sets of less than 3 mile direct moves and have been very successful. Clearly it isn't my years of experience and I am not the bee whisperer so what was it?

It wasn't luck but rather the combination of landscape, time of year and forage. My second set of moves were 1.5 miles to a location with OSR on the doorstep. Not a single bee was found from 2 hives back at the original location. The bees had no reason to struggle away from their immediate vicinity.

I hope that this helps you assess your moves and think about what might influence the success of your move. I am sure there are other factors too but this is my starter for 10.

All the best,
Sam

3 miles for how long?

3 miles for how long?

The way I see it would be until most of the foragers from the old location have died off and current foragers know nothing of the old location - so three to four weeks to be safe (at this time of year)?

In reality I suspect that you could move them for less time than that - allowing them to re-orient at the new location and then move them back.

Disclaimer - Only in my second year and not actually done this, so don't take it as fact :)

Nick

I moved my hives 1.5 miles at the start of the warm weather in March to a farmers field OSR in one and field bean in the next with no returns to the original site much to my relief

Now its too cold... all that potential and not the weather to work it

Great post Sam, nice bit of lateral thinking.

Posting this up as have had a few new beekeeperers ask me if they need to move their new nucs of bees 3 miles away from the breeders site as they live only 1/2 miles away from the breeders apiary... and if so how long should they leave them there ( 3 miles away) before bringing them back?

I could see the scenario of "Homing Bees"!!! and did not feel competent to give advice... landscape in this instance is fairly flat and open

5 framed nuc bursting and full to the gunnels with bees...........

My suggestion was to move into a National hives asap 3 straight line bee miles from the breeders apiary, and leave for 3 weeks, then bring hive back to "home" site......... I have had a cat walk 7 miles home before now, but not bees!not worthy

The way I see it would be until most of the foragers from the old location have died off and current foragers know nothing of the old location - so three to four weeks to be safe (at this time of year)?

In reality I suspect that you could move them for less time than that - allowing them to re-orient at the new location and then move them back.

Disclaimer - Only in my second year and not actually done this, so don't take it as fact :)

My suspicion is that, in this weather, they aren't exactly 'foraging hard' and putting in an excess of life-shortening flying hours.
So, the foragers may be living rather longer than three or four weeks. Thus the 'time away' should actually be longer.

As noted by the OP, shutting them in for a couple of days (and importantly the weather could even help) with adequate food and drink has a bit of a GPS-reset effect.
As does ensuring that the new site has the hive pointing in a 'clearly different' compass direction. It reinforces the message of the leafy branches obstructing the hive entrance that 'something has changed, better make sure I can find my way back to here'.

What sort of memory do they have of the original site though, after they have been moved once?

For example, if I moved a hive 10 miles away and the bees reoriented immediately (which I guess they'd have to do) and then moved them back to a position 50 metres from the original site after a week - would they remember where the hive was originally or just reorient again?

Just thought I would add that I needed to move 2 hives about 20 meters into a new field in a more sheltered place as both hives had been blown over even with concrete blocks on top!.

I was advised to do this during a cold snap in mid winter and every one would be clustered and when they come out again they would all learn the new spot.

As far as I could tell this worked very well indeed with no loss of bees.

So the older ones can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing way back when, but can't remember where they left the hive this morning. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

So the older ones can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing way back when, but can't remember where they left the hive this morning. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Ever started a new job.... and a couple of weeks later driven to the old job site after a heavy night out?

I moved house and on more than one occasion drove home to the old one!

Bee I suspect have a better navigational aptitude...

3 miles for 3 weeks... or 3 feet every 3 days.... any advances on that?

with a week or two of very cold weather in the winter you can usually get away with moving them less than a mile without them returning to original site

anyone ever tried running a length of pipe from new hive entrance to old hive location?
Many years ago at the Birmingham Show, our Association had the usual Observation Hive. Since it would be in place for three days some means were needed to enable the bees to fly. A fairly large diameter length of polythene tubing, with hairy string inside it, was attached to the hive, taken up into the air and then led across the marquee to the outside. The bees had quite a trek to get to and from the entrance, as well as having to climb up and down the string. From memory the tube was about 15ft long. It worked so visitors could not only see the bees but the different pollen loads they were bringing in. Very tired bees by the end of the Show.

Sounds long and convoluted and cavalier about losing bees and there's us fretting over the half dozen or so we might not get by moving their hive.

3 miles or 3 feet or block the entrance with grass for 24hrs if moving more local seems pathetically simple with all this talk of

topology :smilielol5:

meant to be topography ??

But then it is that - simple (and you lose virtually zero) IMHO :cool:

BBG,
Thanks for your comments. I'm not one to be too worried about the fine detail when you can identify and contribute to the the big picture for me so well :biggrinjester:
All the best,
Sam

Best you re-read your post for where the fine detail lies. IMHO

Latest posts

Back