silicon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it only their collar you felt?;)

LOL what you up to now?

It is a good heat insulator and I use to coat exhaust heat shields for racing cars so I was thinking if I coated the underside of my oxalic acid vaporiser it would stop it burning the mesh on the omf but I needed to know what temperature it would withstand without burning

Dont know about general but you can get one that can withstand heat and used instead of fire cement on solid fuel stoves.

Thanks Tom, just had a look and it's good for 250C, more than enough for what I need it for

Silicon cooking utensils go in the oven, I have used it on boat engines as a seal and it is still going strong. I have used ordinary silicon on the flu of my woodburning stove and it is better than than the heat resistant stuff that sets hard and then flakes off. I don't think you will have a problem!
E

Ha yes good idea and you can buy them from the £ shop, I supose it will have to be stuck on with silicon though

Ha yes good idea and you can buy them from the £ shop, I supose it will have to be stuck on with silicon though

Yep ... or a couple of holes in the 'mat' and a cable tie to keep it in position ? It's just going to slide in and out of the entrance so it won't matter if it slides about a bit .. or, if you added a 'button' to the leading edge of your vapouriser then you could have two cable ties to hold it in place ?

Wouldn't a bit of wire be better than a cable tie?

Wouldn't a bit of wire be better than a cable tie?

Heat transfer with wire to the plastic mesh floor .. what he's trying to avoid is damaging the mesh .. and yes wire would be better if it was not plastic coated mesh. Cable ties should do the job though ....

Basically as per Erichalfbee.

As usual, some posting on the forum seem not to know the difference between the words 'withstand' and 'insulate'. They do not mean the same, by any stroke of the imagination.

Silicon dioxide is sand, so plenty of the element around in many places.

Silicone oil is clearly a liquid at ambient temperature and is the base for beat conducting grease/compounds used between susceptible electronic components and heat sinks, for heat transfer from solar thermal collector heat pipes to a water manifold, in temperature measuring situations (for good thermal contact between item and transducer)

Cooking utensils are just higher molecular mass compounds, basically.

Last edited:
PIR withstands 150c and a Excellent insulator , Stainless wires and thin walled tubes wthstand much higher temperatures and are reasonable insulators along the axis from a combination of geometry and material.

Make a Stainless wire support above a foil covered PIR base. The stainless protects the PIR from 150+ the PIR protects plastic from 40+

Last edited:
Some woven glass tape would do the job - comes in rolls for DIY boat-building - or nick one of the corners off a fire extinguisher blanket. :)
Another source would be one of those mats that plumbers use to stop their blowlamps from setting the joists of unsuspecting customers alight.

To stick this stuff to anything - nothing beats Gun-Gum exhaust repair compound - except perhaps JB Weld, which I use when fabricating custom OA evaporators. JB Weld is good for 260 C (500 F) continuously, or 300 C (572 F) for 'short periods' (unspecified).

LJ

Oh - and to pre-empt criticism from the pedant - insulation is provided by air between the glass strands. That's how these materials resist heat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back