how many of these label are illegal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Looking around the web for a company to do art work and print a new batch of honey labels I came across these on Fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321344157880

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/271083093545

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bee-Hive-Honey-Personalised-Labels-x-42-/321511679348

now a few of those could get you in trouble with trading standards even if only selling from your garden gate, Fleabuyer beware

Not too sure about the first but the second and third have no stated weight so they are (Do I win anything if I'm right? LOL)

Last edited:
Not too sure about the first but the second and third have no stated weight so they are (Do I win anything if I'm right? LOL)

First one might be OK for direct sales only (FSA Honey Regs guidance says "Produce of UK" may not be required for direct sales - thanks for that guidance!) The 'indication of durability' needs to be in the correct format to function additionally as 'lot identification' (which is required).
I'm honestly not sure whether "Sell By" is appropriate as an indication of durability. "Best before" is more commonly used on honey.

The other labels are clearly done in blissful ignorance of the legal requirements.

I think the worst bit about them is that they are all god dam ugly and a three year old could come up with better design than that.

Notwithstanding their appearance, would any of them be illegal if you have another label, say on the back, that is compliant? But, why would you want to....

Notwithstanding their appearance, would any of them be illegal if you have another label, say on the back, that is compliant? But, why would you want to....

That is the way forward - even grouping the statutory info at one side of the pretty bit on a plain background (which you'll find on some supermarket labels).
Only thing would be that the pretty bit didn't claim anything incompatible with the statutory bit. For example, if the statutory bit truthfully declared the contents as "Bakers' Honey" (ie too low-grade to be called "Honey"), it would be very naughty to also have a pretty label just describing the contents as "Honey".

Only thing would be that the pretty bit didn't claim anything incompatible with the statutory bit. For example, if the statutory bit truthfully declared the contents as "Bakers' Honey" (ie too low-grade to be called "Honey"), it would be very naughty to also have a pretty label just describing the contents as "Honey".

Quite so, thanks. I missed that bit, including having floral images that implied honey from a mono-floral source that wasn't!

Me too. Pretty label on the front and legal bit on a cheap address label from Vistaprint bought in their sale after Christmas

I'm honestly not sure whether "Sell By" is appropriate as an indication of durability. "Best before" is more commonly used on honey.

As far as I'm aware "sell by" is no longer used in the UK. It was replaced by "display until" and both are purely for the seller as a means of stock control, and of no relevance to the customer.

"Best before" or "Use by" are the two dates to look for, and the only packaged foods exempt from these are pure salt and pure sugar.

I think it's because people nowadays have forgotten how to think for themselves and don't feel comfortable unless they have a BBE/expiry date/serving suggestion on their food. The BBKA 'advise' people to put a BBE date on, but then again they also advise matchsticks, gaping holes in the crown board and feeding your bees continuously apart from a brief spell in August whilst you jam the matchsticks in :D

... The BBKA 'advise' people to put a BBE date on, but then again they also advise matchsticks, gaping holes in the crown board and feeding your bees continuously apart from a brief spell in August whilst you jam the matchsticks in :D

You are more right than you know.

They (wrongly) seem to think that there is a derogation for Lot ID and Durability Indication for "Direct Sales", but 'advise' that they are better to be there.
I have never seen any supporting evidence for this alleged derogation.
However, there "may"* be a "Direct Sales" derogation for the Country of Production - which would be kinda reasonable since you were buying it direct from the producer, so the origin would be (or should be) perfectly clear.

Regardless of the potential derogation, an origin declaration is simple to have - and use the one label for direct and (any) indirect sales.

But you do need a "Durability Indication" (however pointless), so put in that BBE.

* Even the FSA aren't sure about this. In their "Guidance on the Honey Regulations", they say
it is the Agency’s opinion that honey prepacked for direct sale may be exempt from the origin labelling requirements of the Honey Regulations
http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/honeyguidance.pdf See Section 4.6

Last edited:
Back