Beginner: Who To Contact?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everbeezer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am a beginner and I am looking to contact the Association nearest to me. I live in Colne, Lancashire. I have found a website for Blackburn & Darwen (not to far away) who are part of the East Lancashire Beekeepers Association who according to their website are part of the Lancashire & North West Beekeepers Association.

So I would like to know should I contact Blackburn & Darwen, East Lancashire or go direct to Lancashire & North West?

Apologies if this appears to some as a silly question.

Tis a bit confusing. Training events and talks tend to be organzied at the more local level so I'd vote for East Lancashire as their website is clearer and indicates association with the larger group and is clearly BBKA affiliated. I couldn't see that the Burnley and Darwen website stated it was affiliated to the BBKA, it may well be. Some one local to the area will no doubt make it clear. Of course it also depends on whether you want to be affiliated to the BBKA! Not everyone does.

Last edited:
Google for BBKA and then click on "Find an Association". There are loads of them in North West that you can contact and make your mind up from there. There is nothing to stop you contacting any of them and a preliminary visit on a club evening would almost certainly be welcomed - for nowt. This is about the time that external learned (?) speakers are asked to deliver words of wisdom so it would be easy to ask if one is in the offing and from that you will get a picture, enough to give you a clue as to whether you wish to take it further with them or look at another BKA within reasonable proximity to where you are. One further point, get a good book. I recommend Ted Hooper MBE "Guide to Bees and Honey" as being one that every beekeepers should have to hand as good for dipping into and is very readable anyway. There are dozens of others but this is the best of the bunch for newbie imho. Your choice and best of luck.

Thank you Curley for your reply. You may be right and Blackburn & Darwen may not come under East Lancashire. I assumed this as it says on the East Lancashire website that they cover that area. I will see if anyone more local to me reply's with more information.

Last edited:
Thank you Arfermo for your reply. The East Lancashire is the one that appears to cover my area and have meetings occasionally not far from me. I was hoping to find a group or association that were local to my area Pendle, Lancashire. So far Blackburn & Darwen are the only one I can find. This is not a problem as I am only 15/20 mins from Blackburn.

I am a beginner and I am looking to contact the Association nearest to me. I live in Colne, Lancashire. I have found a website for Blackburn & Darwen (not to far away) who are part of the East Lancashire Beekeepers Association who according to their website are part of the Lancashire & North West Beekeepers Association.

So I would like to know should I contact Blackburn & Darwen, East Lancashire or go direct to Lancashire & North West?

Apologies if this appears to some as a silly question.

To the best of my knowledge they were both one of the same some time ago. I do not know the politics involved but apparently there was some 'split' and therefore there are now two associations but both, still tied into Lancashire association and the BBKA. Someone else on here may know more than that and be able to enlighten you further. I am a member of Preston, but sometimes go to the East lancs. meetings when able.(as it's close) One thing I wish to point out, is that although we are all members of the same Lancs. unit, the price of membership to each individual association varies a great deal. You may wish to consider your options and visit both to see which suits you best. Think about travelling time and the weather, especially in your neck of the woods. Hope this gives you something to think about. :)
PS Once you are a member of Lancashire, you can go to meetings at any other association within the umbrella of Lancs. They should explain this to you. Just remember though if one association is cheaper than the other, do they cost the same once you have been caught and sold raffle tickets? LOL:D

Last edited:
No harm in sticking your head through more than one doorway!

Make contact with, and visit any groups that are within a reasonable (by your own definition) distance. See who is most friendly, helpful, even well-equipped - and who has members near you.

You can even join more than one. Full membership is usually expensive because it is including insurance and BBKA membership. However you only need that at one place, and can (usually VERY cheaply) join other(s) as a Friend/Associate.

Put yourself about a bit, and see what you think of what you find! :)

Thank you to midnight sun & itma for your reply's. I think that I will be making contact with the East Lancashire Association for sure as well as looking at a local one or two.

Hi "Everbreezer"

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but have just seen the thread about who to contact.

Your local association is East Lancashire Beekeepers Association.

Without getting into the politics of it all, there was a split a couple of years ago, one group set up in Blackburn and Darwen not with the BBKA and we have carried on with the BBKA and cover the whole of East Lancs, I myself am from Colne area.

Please look at our website. We have a BBKA beginners course starting in April 2015, details on the website. We also have a meeting on the 15th March down at Off-Shoots Permaculture Project in Burnley where our new apiary is, once again details are on the website. Please feel free to come down and have a chat to see if you would like to join. Or alternatively please pm me

post wont let me add url links or email addresses, so please pm me

Hope this helps

Hi "Everbreezer"

Sorry for the delay in posting this, but have just seen the thread about who to contact.

Your local association is East Lancashire Beekeepers Association.

Without getting into the politics of it all, there was a split a couple of years ago, one group set up in Blackburn and Darwen not with the BBKA and we have carried on with the BBKA and cover the whole of East Lancs, I myself am from Colne area.

Please look at our website. We have a BBKA beginners course starting in April 2015, details on the website. We also have a meeting on the 15th March down at Off-Shoots Permaculture Project in Burnley where our new apiary is, once again details are on the website. Please feel free to come down and have a chat to see if you would like to join. Or alternatively please pm me

post wont let me add url links or email addresses, so please pm me

Hope this helps

I think you will find that everbreezer like you can't send PM's yet, not enough posts.

Most local associations have a history of splits, amalgamation and folding over the years. The basic position is you can join any local association based on distance, convenience, facilities, personalities or any other criteria that you can think of. Nearly every association around here has overlaps in actual member addresses with neighbours and that has been the accepted position for many years. Visit a few events or talks and choose whichever suits.

Nearly every association around here has overlaps in actual member addresses with neighbours and that has been the accepted position for many years.

It's easy enough to join one association as a full member, for insurance, and then as many others you want as an associate member. Nobody will mind, and you get the benefit of using, or visiting, other apiaries and hearing different speakers.

Hi again. Sorry for the long gap between posts. Last year was a turbulent / challenging year but all that is now behind me and I can now get back to normality and my interest in Bee keeping. My first port of call will be to make contact with the East Lancashire Beekeepers Association a.s.a.p.

Hi again. Sorry for the long gap between posts. Last year was a turbulent / challenging year but all that is now behind me and I can now get back to normality and my interest in Bee keeping. My first port of call will be to make contact with the East Lancashire Beekeepers Association a.s.a.p.

Welcome back then !!

A wise move in my opinion. You can also visit Preston (my association at present) being a member of Lancashire, as its in with your membership fee. Come down anytime...check out the web site 'Preston beekeeping ass. for dates of events:)

Just got back from this month's meeting of the East Lancs BA, my first visit. The talk was given by Janet Murray on the The Snelgrove Board method of Swarm Control. It was very interesting. I also made contact with a few local people who were very helpful. Next week the association hives are being opened for the first time and I will be going along to help and get a little hands on experience.

Just got back from this month's meeting of the East Lancs BA, my first visit. The talk was given by Janet Murray on the The Snelgrove Board method of Swarm Control. It was very interesting. I also made contact with a few local people who were very helpful. Next week the association hives are being opened for the first time and I will be going along to help and get a little hands on experience.

Was there myself today. Agree, good talk. Don't forget you can visit out apiary site openings for more experience if you wish. Dates available on Preston beekeeping website. (just Google) :)

Was there myself today. Agree, good talk. Don't forget you can visit out apiary site openings for more experience if you wish. Dates available on Preston beekeeping website. (just Google) :)

A shame we never got to talk. Maybe next time. I will have a look at the Preston website for sure and see if I can make it to a one of your site openings. I had a talk to Barry who lives a couple of miles from me. He gave me some helpful advice and info.

Latest posts

Back