Sep 2014 BBKA magazine still hasnt heard of insulation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Two articles about preparing for winter but no mention of insulation just ventilation, feeding, and big colonies.
No problem with balance of views there:rolleyes:

The first thing I look for in any article about bees and winter is the location of the author(s).

The first one - Overwintering - was written in Dorset.

So I ignored it as not relevant.

It's a reasonable complaint. There is a lack of editorial judgement exercised in the putting together of BBKA News and this is demonstrated by articles that miss the point for many readers.

Two articles about preparing for winter but no mention of insulation just ventilation, feeding, and big colonies.

I'm afraid that there are a huge number of beekeepers that have not yet come to appreciate the benefits of even the most mundane of insulation above the crown board ...

BUT - WE ALL KNOW DON'T WE ?

PS: No matchsticks hereabouts I hope but the word outside the forum is that shares in Swan Vestas have gone up again ...

Sep 2014 BBKA magazine still hasnt heard of insulation.

Surprisingly, you might be (partially) cheered by the article headed "Hive Ventilation" in the October issue. (Page 344)

The (Yorkshire actually) author has come to the OMF/closed coverboard conclusion.
Its just unfortunate that his idea of "insulation" is "squares of old carpet". :smilielol5:

But at least he appreciates that year-round top insulation is a help for wooden hives.

Progress! :party:

But at least he appreciates that year-round top insulation is a help for wooden hives.
Progress! :party:

I'm intrigued with your mention of top insulation all year round. I've always added polystyrene insulation above crown boards in winters and taken it off in late spring. I've never heard of it being used in the summer before, until I saw your post. Thinking about what you've said, it makes sense. I'm presuming (perhaps wrongly) that all the crown board holes are kept covered? And it all goes over top super?

As I seem to be moving towards all poly hives then it should have been obvious that warmth via insulation control is going to be beneficial year round.
Some times the penny takes a long time to drop.....

It's all a big conspiracy with big oil.

The energy used in winter is only the amount needed to ripen one and a bit supers.
Energy efficiency in summer is very important

I'm intrigued with your mention of top insulation all year round. I've always added polystyrene insulation above crown boards in winters and taken it off in late spring. I've never heard of it being used in the summer before, until I saw your post. Thinking about what you've said, it makes sense. I'm presuming (perhaps wrongly) that all the crown board holes are kept covered? And it all goes over top super?

As I seem to be moving towards all poly hives then it should have been obvious that warmth via insulation control is going to be beneficial year round.
Some times the penny takes a long time to drop.....

Have 40 or 50mm celotex permanently fixed inside all my roofs. the only time the crown board holes are uncovered is when they are err..... covered by a feeder :D

Thanks,
Have always had insulated roofs (ebay polystyrene cuts) but add in an extra layer of poly over crown board for winter and remove for spring feeding. But I've always left the poly off (crown board) and the holes open after this. Thinking, thanks to this thread, that I may keep poly there for entire summer.

Last edited:
My Topbar Hives have insulation in the roof year round, no room for matchsticks!

James

Thanks,
Have always had insulated roofs (ebay polystyrene cuts) but add in an extra layer of poly over crown board for winter and remove for spring feeding. But I've always left the poly off (crown board) and the holes open after this. Thinking, thanks to this thread, that I may keep poly there for entire summer.

I have a sheet of 50mm Kingspan with a hole the size of a 50mm deep rapid feeder cut in it. The rapid feeder goes on, the Kingspan goes around it and another complete sheet of Kingspan goes on top .. I find the rapid feeder quite warm to the touch after a few hours in the hive so it is obviously warmed by the heat from the colony ... the bees probably appreciate their syrup a little warmer as a result of not losing the heat from the hive. Always guzzle it down very quickly as well.

Latest posts

Back