Colony bursting out of 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you left the queen in there after finding all those sealed QC's ?
Yes JBM

When I had found and marked the queen this was AFTER moving the Queen cells, and reassembling all the hives. It started to rain.

I had her, now marked, in a queen cage. As the rain turned squally, I had to decide whether to leave the hive queenless overnight. I decided to reintroduce her and hope for good weather in the next couple of days to complete the AS correctly.

You do realise that I have moved ALL the queen cells elsewhere ?

Last edited:
i had one on 14x12 double brood last year, my advice is add TWO supers under the other 2 supers, they need space to rest at night, a full emerging brood frame of 14x12 requires almost half a super for resting space ( a bee occupies three times the area of a brood cell)

mouseguard off, Summer Bees are quite capable of defending a open entrance, Wasps attack IN AUTUMN not spring and they find it easier to get in a via mouseguard as not every hole is defended whereas a guard bee can partol quite a large area from the edge of a single large hole in an entrance block
MM

At one point last year this colony had an empty super underneath. the bees would drop with a thump to the floor. Thump thump thump ! I sometimes wondered if they were getting hurt. Are you suggesting that I do this again but with two empty supers ?

Roger

Latest posts

Back