Do i take honey now?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnybeegood

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My bees are foraging on allsorts at the minute, lots of different pollens coming in so i presume the same with nectar. It was going so well but i spotted a field of rape in flower , maybe 4 acres about a mile away as bees fly.
I know rape honey sets quickly & when bees are on rape it needs extracted quickly but what would you do in this situation? I dont even know if they are going to this rape but i would think they could be as they were on a huge area of gorse which was past the rape, how can i know? There are all sorts of coloured pollen coming in, orange, different yellows, grey , red, pale green, should i be extracting capped honey as its capped or will it be mixed & possibly not set?

If it's capped and you have Osr, I wouldn't take the risk. Nothing more annoying than losing the crop. What's to be gained by waiting?
Cazza

I wondered if it was mixed would it still set in the comb? They were brinnging in all sorts before this, i didnt really want to extract a couple of frames at a time which i might need to do i guess?

I agree with finman.

it wont set that quickly in the comb. the tradition is to take the rape honey off when the flowers start to fade in the field, maybe 2 or 3 weeks time depending on the state of play with the rape in your area.

Keep mesh floor closed that hive is warm. In cold hive sidemost frames may start to crystallize, but it is not end of the world.

If it's capped and you have Osr, I wouldn't take the risk. Nothing more annoying than losing the crop. What's to be gained by waiting?
Cazza

Loosing by fermenting or by crystallization, that is the question. But loosing your mind for honey crob... That is bad...

If there is OSR nearby and it is giving nectar then the bees will be on it. They will also, in my opinion / experience, carry of collecting other nectars and yes they mix it.

As others have said it shouldn't set that fast. It is about managing the hive now and as Finman has pointed out not letting it get cold (as that speeds up the setting process).

Generally you can leave it until the flowers start to fade but in the meantime if you have enough capped frames to extract then do it.
I also check the state of OSR honey using the shake test before it is capped and sometimes extract before capping.

Important is that whatever method you use to remove the supers don't let them get cold overnight before extraction.

Keep mesh floor closed that hive is warm. In cold hive sidemost frames may start to crystallize, but it is not end of the world.

Is that a good idea keeping the mesh covered? I would rather lose honey than risk condensation problems or varroa?

Important is that whatever method you use to remove the supers don't let them get cold overnight before extraction.

How about putting the frames in a big warming cabinet for a couple of days?

Is that a good idea keeping the mesh covered? I would rather lose honey than risk condensation problems or varroa?

There is no condensation problem in hives during brooding time.
During dandelion time I have 1 cm x 10 cm entrance with solid floor.

Last edited:
Ok thanks all, i am doing BB inspections tomorrow so i will check the supers. & see how they look. So would it be best if i do extract this to keep it seperate as there will be more honey from other plants when the rapes done, or do i just mix it all at the end of the season? I am reading up on blending but i am also thinking about how to keep flavours seperate. They will be on sycamore soon & then theres the balsam too, it seems a shame to mix it all up but i guess the bees do that anyway unless theyre purely on one plant only.

Ok thanks all, i am doing BB inspections tomorrow so i will check the supers. & see how they look. So would it be best if i do extract this to keep it seperate as there will be more honey from other plants when the rapes done, or do i just mix it all at the end of the season? I am reading up on blending but i am also thinking about how to keep flavours seperate. They will be on sycamore soon & then theres the balsam too, it seems a shame to mix it all up but i guess the bees do that anyway unless theyre purely on one plant only.

Just keep it separate when you extract it ... you can blend it later at the end of the season if you need to (or want to). If it is rape, it will set anyway and your next project will have to be a warming cabinet ! Steep learning curve isn't it ??

Lol, yes i am already thinking of using an old fridge for a warming cabinet, more storage space to find :)

Why would putting the inspection board in cause either ?

Yeah sorry my mistake about varroa, i was thinking mesh floor covered rather than board underneath Doh! But i do find condensation pools on the varroa board so wouldnt want to leave it on for more than a day, but if Finman says i wont when theres brood then thats ok.

Rape honey has very weak aroma. It is better to mix with others. To do mixing it is better handle the rape honey soft set. If honey is coarse, it is difficult to get soft.

Yeah sorry my mistake about varroa, i was thinking mesh floor covered rather than board underneath Doh! But i do find condensation pools on the varroa board so wouldnt want to leave it on for more than a day, but if Finman says i wont when theres brood then thats ok.

Water pooling on the inspection board.... leaky roof?

Yeghes da

Some condensation happens on floor when cold floor and hot hive air meets.

But water pools on floor... That is bad. Hive leaks via joints.

Latest posts

Back