Pembrokeshire BKA auction today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Did the annual spin to Withybush for the Pembrokeshire auction today but with stuff to sell not buy for a change after a tidy up in the chamber of secrets :D. the usual crown of nutters paying over the odds for the gleanings of somebody else's skip - apart from my trash that is! it must have been too good for them, but then again a fiver for the dadant brood and homemmade super (don't ask!) that I keep tripping over in the garden at least saved me a match! but can't complain as I got what i expected for the other stuff.
The prices of bees were a surprise though - twenty five colonies (no nucs on offer) including the apiary of a deceased beek.

The first eight lots - all very strong colonies, some brood and a half (but all bees on frames only) all went for around £190.00, then we came to the bees with hives, and the prices started dropping!! all good colonies ranging from five frames of brood (£55.00) to seven or eight (£80.00) but the old dead beeks apiary contents picked up with some going for £190.00 including hives. then another batch of bees on frames only for £80.00 to £140.00. all good value apart from one weak colony I wouldn't have touchrd with a barge pole which went for £60.00 (I suppose they might pick up in a nucas IMHO they had way too much space

I saw the signs on my way to work at 6 am and again on the way home at 5 pm. I also missed the Whitland machinery sale last weekend another great place for buying other people's junk.

Felt for the deceased beek's family though, wasn't he the one who closed the A40 a good while back?

No, i think you mean the one who was killed (with his wife) early last year. This is someone who died over the winter.

I couldn't make it this year, any idea who kicked the bucket?

The high prices paid at the start of the auction were because that particular seller has a high reputation for quality. His business now in his later life is more geared towards preparing colonies for this auction to promote the craft locally.
I know for a fact that the first batch of lots were intended to be nucs, but became so strong that they moved onto BB and then B+ 1/2 this last few weeks.
The others were of a relatively unknown provenance and what you dont say is that half of them were listed as infested with varroa. This coupled with the lightness of the colonies on hefting, may have explained the price differentials of the bees. Some of them were as light as a feather compared with the first batch.
I have no doubt the varroa word will have put a lot of people off, especially those just starting out.

Last edited:
The high prices paid at the start of the auction were because that particular seller has a high reputation for quality. His business now in his later life is more geared towards preparing colonies for this auction to promote the craft locally.
I know for a fact that the first batch of lots were intended to be nucs, but became so strong that they moved onto BB and then B+ 1/2 this last few weeks.
The others were of a relatively unknown provenance and what you dont say is that half of them were listed as infested with varroa. This coupled with the lightness of the colonies on hefting, may have explained the price differentials of the bees. Some of them were as light as a feather compared with the first batch.
I have no doubt the varroa word will have put a lot of people off, especially those just starting out.

I don't think they were all from the same seller (unless he has a fairly unique way of marking queens - the first three may have been.)

I think saying that half were 'infeted' with varroa an innacuracy too three were described as being in that category
I have to chuckle at the comment 'varroa present' does that mean the other colonies were varroa free! Although I would have thought twice if they were marked 'treatment needed' especially at this time of year.

The first seven were from the same seller and were all heavy.
The bidding tailed off once they were sold.
You might chuckle with your knowledge but others less experienced may well have been put off with the word varroa being used in the description.

Last edited:
You might chuckle with your knowledge but others less experienced may well have been put off with the word varroa being used in the description.

Which is why they should be a bit more careful in their wording, either there is a problem - which they should say or not - so why mention it. May have a word with Ade when I see him next as he did a lot of the inspections

The first seven were from the same seller and were all heavy.
The bidding tailed off once they were sold.
That's true enough - but in all honesty I don't know why the weight is that much of an issue, the SBI has told you how much brood there is, if they're a bit light on stores, slap a feed on when you get them home. But a note to myself for the future - if I do ever decide to sell any at an auction - give them a gallon of invert a few days before to bulk them up :D

Latest posts

Back