large queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to register as a breeder to see the data on the Beebreed site. The Buckfast pedigree mating lineages are openly available which makes them more accessible.
Regardless of this, I think this attention to detail and record keeping puts most of our amateur open/random mated queen rearing in perspective.

You don't have to register as a breeder to look up information in beebreed but you do have to be registered to enter information. For example, if you want to look up the pedigree, inbreeding coefficient or breeding values for a queen, you can do so here https://www2.hu-berlin.de/beebreed/ZWS/Zuchtwertschaetzung/ik_Formular.php
I completely agree. The attention to detail is much higher than most hobby beekeepers are used to. But, there again, wouldn't you expect it to be?

It is not. I know. Beeks say more than they do.
I wonder how many test sensitiveness to chalkbrood for example
Many breeders speak about high hygienic genes but chalkbrood tolerance does not work that way

It is very tightly controlled. I report to a breeding group manager. He scrutinises everything I do and makes sure I don't make any mistakes.

Sorry B+ all I get is a form asking me for my association number, breeder, stud book number and year of birth. Do you mean I need to register first?

all I get is a form asking me for my association number, breeder, stud book number and year of birth. Do you mean I need to register first?

No.
Each queen has a reference number as follows:
The country/association code
The breeder number within that association
The stockbook number of the queen you are interested in
The year she was born.
If you use 6-1-588-2012 or 6-1-1862-2012 you will see the details of the mother of some of the queens I bought last year

It was why I said CAN be a problem. Was it a major problem 10-20 years ago?

No....
Chalkbrood slows down build up in spring and it reduced yield because build up is slower than in healthy hives. Chalkbrood heals by itself when weathers become warmer. That is why beeks think that medicine or something helped in it.

Major problem has been 25 years varroa.

Chalkbrood became more usual via varroa, buy now beebreeders have breeded it much more less in 20 years.

Last edited:
It is very tightly controlled. I report to a breeding group manager. He scrutinises everything I do and makes sure I don't make any mistakes.

Yes but bee breeding is not such that you write something nice to paper and then just implement it.

By the way, Carniolan has better natural resistancy against chalkbrood than Italians.

I visited someones bees last year & was really surprised at the size of their queens, they were so easy to spot in a frame of bees, they were twice the size of mine literally. I never got to ask him how they were so big.
Is there a way of rearing larger queens? is there an advantage to having large queens like this apart from the obvious?

So ... after three pages of 'scientific' nit picking the answer is NO ! And IT DOESN'T MATTER ! ...:smilielol5::smilielol5:

No.
Each queen has a reference number as follows:
The country/association code
The breeder number within that association
The stockbook number of the queen you are interested in
The year she was born.
If you use 6-1-588-2012 or 6-1-1862-2012 you will see the details of the mother of some of the queens I bought last year

Understood.
Alas if I enter
Association no as 6,
Breeder no as 1
stud book number 588 (or 1862)
and year of birth 2012
I get the answer that the queen doesn't exist....
I must be doing something wrong somewhere, but not sure what.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I still get the same result which is odd. I'm using the link you pasted to the data base......I saw the screen shots, thanks for taking the time to post them.

Thanks for the reply. I still get the same result which is odd. I'm using the link you pasted to the data base......I saw the screen shots, thanks for taking the time to post them.

You can see a whole apiaries results here https://www2.hu-berlin.de/beebreed/ZWS/Zuchtwertschaetzung/ps_Formular.php

Association 6
tester 1
Apiary 1 or 2
year of birth anything before 2014

if you click on the triangle (under more info on the left) it takes you to the pedigree, etc for that queen

Last edited:
Must be summat wrong with t'internet today. Now all I'm getting are boxes and no text on pc....same on my tablet.
Thanks for the input, a veritable mine of information....when I can access it.

Must be summat wrong with t'internet today. Now all I'm getting are boxes and no text on pc....same on my tablet.
Thanks for the input, a veritable mine of information....when I can access it.

Thats odd: when I clicked the link I got exactly what you describe. It must be something to do with the way links are opened from within the forum.
I have print-screened the 6-1-1-2013 report but this is just to give you an idea of whats on the system
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5yq8qjchqj3u3m9/AAB4NtwLDtmnzmKdI1Dh18uFa?dl=0

I have a very small queen and produced by a small colony last year but I kept her as a spare and overwintered in a nuc but looking at the hive right now she is one of my top queens. I have just given them a super and will be interesting if she can walk through the queen excluder.

I have a very small queen and produced by a small colony last year but I kept her as a spare and overwintered in a nuc but looking at the hive right now she is one of my top queens. I have just given them a super and will be interesting if she can walk through the queen excluder.

Don't be suprised if she can. I had one wriggle through a marking cage last year

Don't be suprised if she can. I had one wriggle through a marking cage last year

From looking at her I would not be surprised but not a problem is she does as I will use her to produce brood to bolster other colonies and keep feeding them fresh frames. [

There are strains, which do not become sick, when you put the queen into a contaminated hive. That was the way I breeded out chalkbrood from my hives.

I had mating nucs which had chalkbrood contamination on floor. When new queens brood become sick, I killed the queen. Lots of new queens and selection.

And in spring you need spare queens. When you see chalkbrood in hive, change the queen at once.

But first you need tolerant genes from outside.

Yes, I understand that. I've done the same. What I don't understand is how. I think you're saying it's not the hygienic response, and it's about genetic resistance to the disease. How do you determine the difference?

At one time in the 90s, my bees were stinky rotten with chalk. I introduced a tested hygienic line to my apiaries, re-queening the chalk colonies. The disease was cleaned up as soon as the new bees took over the colonies. From piles of mummies on the floor to no mummies to be seen in any of the new stock. The speed at which they cleaned up the mess was impressive.

So perhaps there are two things going on. Resistance to the disease, and hygienic bees cleaning up the disease so fast you don't see it.

You can see sick larvae as holes in brood frames.
If larvae are normal, capped area is even. Especially drone brood are healthy.

Last edited:
Back