Does your beekeeping association have a newsletter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Riviera Kid

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My beekeeping association is looking at the future role of our bi-monthly newsletter. Several associations I have spoken to have abandoned a "formal" newsletter in favour of emails or printed material sent out as and when required with great success.

How does your association distribute information to its members?

Your comments please!

Monthly emailed news letter. The advantage of electronic is it can include lots of links. We are fortunate as we have a very keen member who produces an excellent news letter every month.

We have monthly newsletters, many still delivered by post.

In Manchester we produce a Quarterly newsletter, which is about to be available to members on our website. Those who don't do the interweb can get a hard copy sent to them.

Dusty

Monthly emailed newsletter. Mainly consists of key dates and seasonal notes

Our local association sends out a monthly newsletter by email to those that have a computer. For those that don't a hard copy is posted to them. Our area association sends out a monthly magazine by post to all members.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!!

Do your members contribute much to the newsletters in terms of photos, articles and so on?

Do they respond to content in articles? Requests for assistance for example?

We have recently been doing work on a new Association apiary site and our Newsletter appeals generated exactly ONE volunteer.

When the same request was sent out to all online members as a single email, we had more people than we needed.

I wonder how this is mirrored in other associations?

Monthly newsletter, sent out by email list or posted to the few not on email.

Last edited:
Four times a year, email and snail. It's always a bit sparse, getting contributors can be a challenge.

What sort of things are in your association's newsletter?

Ours goes out bi-monthly by email, will soon be available on our website as the website has just been revamped - previously it was just an email copy. We have an enthusiastic editor but she really struggles to get people to produce articles for publication... I think this is a general malady - my woodturning association has the same problem.

Mind you ... a call for volunteers for ANYTHING usually results in the same few willing horses being flogged ... ain't that the way it always is ?

I've just received the first emailed PDF of our associations revamped and restarted monthly newsletter. Looks like a good confident start, long may it continue.

They have subscribed to a system called EBEES "Electronic Beekeeping Editors Exchange Scheme" allowing the presumably share-alike inclusion of articles from other association letters. Sounds like a good idea provided it's only a supliment to homegrown material.

EBEES "The website was recently hacked and so has been reset. The mailing list is still working. The normal website will be recovered soon." dated mid-February …

As an irregular contributor to our association newsletter I was looking to see who retained the copyright on articles.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!!

Do your members contribute much to the newsletters in terms of photos, articles and so on?

Do they respond to content in articles? Requests for assistance for example?

We have recently been doing work on a new Association apiary site and our Newsletter appeals generated exactly ONE volunteer.

When the same request was sent out to all online members as a single email, we had more people than we needed.

I wonder how this is mirrored in other associations?

A few people contribute but not directly we have a few members who have blogs and the person who does the news letter is a very active blogger and follows many and when someone writes about an interesting subject it's linked to the news letter. We have members who are also rather good with a camera so we often have a nice photo or two and often it's just beekeepers eating cake and drinking tea.

Electronic newsletter has to be the way and with many links added it can very simply be very informative. If you send me an email address I will send you some of our news letters if you like.

I send out a near-weekly newsletter to our 150 or so members (C0nwy BK) and a weekly update round our village (Rowen, C0nwy Valley) with about 120 email addresses. Mainly they are a list of upcoming events, concise and succinct, no waffle, no gossip. They seem to be popular, especially the village update, and I'm often sent events info and pictures for circulation.

'An Hes' - emailed pdf version every month to members with email - snail mail for those who prefer paper versions.
Articles from members, with photos etc are encouraged.

In english :)

Email Monthly.

In God's own language - English..:paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back