The Importance of Dandelions. :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made me laugh the other day the miss got me a gardening mag and on one page there is a peace on flowers for bees and on the next page they are on about how to get rid of dandelions now that's a thinker lets all lover song birds and have lots of cats

Next door flailed his grass field a few days ago. It's actually improved the conditions for the dandelions as they are already taking advantage of better exposure to light without competition from tall grass and other weeds.

Next door flailed his grass field a few days ago. It's actually improved the conditions for the dandelions as they are already taking advantage of better exposure to light without competition from tall grass and other weeds.

A spring cut reduces competition with the grasses, but on verges (and other grassland), floristic diversity is lost with repeatedly mowing them to within an inch of their lives.

For me dandelions are threat. First it start to flower partially when fruit trees flower and bees neglect attending fruit flowers in favour of dandelions. Second when You cut it, flowers grow fast and low, and when later spraying orchard even fruit trees aren't in blooming farmers kill a load of bees ( foragers). Third it suffocate other plants and kill diversity within meadow ( when have wild thyme, wild oregano, wild lemon balm, wild strawberries, etc. and seeing reducing their number with such annoying dandelions and watching happen..).

For me dandelions are threat. First it start to flower partially when fruit trees flower and bees neglect attending fruit flowers in favour of dandelions. Second when You cut it, flowers grow fast and low, and when later spraying orchard even fruit trees aren't in blooming farmers kill a load of bees ( foragers). Third it suffocate other plants and kill diversity within meadow ( when have wild thyme, wild oregano, wild lemon balm, wild strawberries, etc. and seeing reducing their number with such annoying dandelions and watching happen..).

Yeah. Nature should be planned better.
EU shoud order that your meadows are better cultivated.

I will be collecting Dandelion seed as i did last year to scatter in my own field, every little helps. I like them, they are beautiful flowers when you look at them, much nicer than some "garden flowers"

No need to collect dandelion seed here. They're everywhere.

Dandelion is our first major flow. I've seen 50 lb. surplus in a good year. Light colonies are at risk for starvation in a cold, delayed spring. When dandelion hits, I consider winter finished.

DSC_2507_zps78902f55.jpg

Latest posts

Back