Its getting Springier!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen 5 beautiful huge queen Bumbles busy on the crocus..

Sadly found one wedged in one of the metal mouseguard holes on one of my hives, tried to prise her out but in the end.. disaster... and ended up popping IN through the hole into the confines of the hive Ooouucchh !!

Seen 5 beautiful huge queen Bumbles busy on the crocus..

How lovely! I've tried to save a queen wasp and some kind of solitary bee, but sadly the bee was kaput and I don't know how the wasp fared. I wanted to bring her home and warm her up but I was out for the day.

The daffs are just starting to flower here, crocus and snowdrops are out. My honeysuckle has started to leaf and my willow is starting to bud. It has been really cold here, even when the sun pops out ( briefly )

A bit of a blurry picture but I caught this Red Admiral (?) on one of my Daphne's this afternoon. It took off before my phone camera could refocus. Very springy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 22
The wild garlic is coming through nicely, i spotted this lot out walking the dogs :)image.jpg

The wild garlic is coming through nicely, i spotted this lot out walking the dogs :)

Yup.. first batch of wild garlic pesto made and didnt last long ! :)

Willow catkins about to open. Happy days... The excitement Builds !!!

Yup.. first batch of wild garlic pesto made and didnt last long ! :)

Willow catkins about to open. Happy days... The excitement Builds !!!

Lol, i was picking & eating it on the way home, the missis wasnt impressed when i got back! I 'll be picking a load to make my years supply of garlic butter soon :)

The garlic is a protected species, but can be gathered in moderation to make excellent pesto and salads. All parts of the plant can be eaten – the flowers, the leaves and the bulbs.
A word of warning though – the leaves look very similar to lily of the valley, which contains no fewer than 38 different cardiac poisons, as well as an unusually toxic amino acid. Sprinkle that on your salad and you’re in for an exhilarating, if rather short, meal. Wild garlic is distinctive though. Crush the leaves between your fingers and the distinct smell of Gallic cuisine means it can only be one plant.

The garlic is a protected species, but can be gathered in moderation to make excellent pesto and salads. All parts of the plant can be eaten – the flowers, the leaves and the bulbs.
A word of warning though – the leaves look very similar to lily of the valley, which contains no fewer than 38 different cardiac poisons, as well as an unusually toxic amino acid. Sprinkle that on your salad and you’re in for an exhilarating, if rather short, meal. Wild garlic is distinctive though. Crush the leaves between your fingers and the distinct smell of Gallic cuisine means it can only be one plant.

You just copied that from a Daily mail link Lol, you left the bit out about the bears & wild boar Lol http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-carpets-woods-takes-Britain-bears-boars.html

One of my weeping pussy willow was opening its buds today, there'll soon be big yellow puff balls everywhere :)image.jpg

It's snowing here. My morning walk was in snow and sleet. Lying on the moor but it will thaw.

(We have had snow in early June - once- about 30 years ago -Chernobyl time)

What an uplifting photo ..

My neighbour has a lovely weeping pussy willow that is about three days away from opening up.... it's only about 30 yards from my hives but as they found the lavender in his garden last summer I'm hoping they are going to take advantage of some fast food on their doorstep this weekend. Sadly, some rain forecast for us and a couple of degrees colder than it has been.

Drove down to yorkshire, noticed rooks nesting on the motorway sides & some trees absolutley stuffed with white flowers, not sloes but the trees were thick with cream flowers,dont know what they were, it might be cold but were getting there :)

Primroses out in a sheltered spot I found in York this morning.

Also some Scilla and wood anemones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooks are always early nesters here too.
We have a blackbird sitting on eggs in a hedge and nuthatch and tits are exploring the nest boxes. Willow is later than last year, holding back for the warmer weather......and the bees :)
My earlier snap was from last year, March 11th

PS
Our Kites are well on their way to repairing the winter ravaged nest. Last year the female (she was tagged) disappeared and the male found himself a new mate.They abandoned the clutch on the point of hatching so fingers crossed they are more successful this time.

Tamar Tim predicted a late Spring... catkins and willow and helebore flowers in abundance and the Native black bees are flying strongly bringing back loads of pollen
The NZ Italians are still skulking around making the occasional cleaning flight... the Buskfast mongrel talliband swarms ... well possibly starved?

Old beekeeper in the pub said Spring warm weather will not start till 19th April this year, fine through May and then another very wet Summer, with some fine weather again in the Autumn.

Yeghes da

Tamar Tim predicted a late Spring... catkins and willow and helebore flowers in abundance and the Native black bees are flying strongly bringing back loads of pollen
The NZ Italians are still skulking around making the occasional cleaning flight... the Buskfast mongrel talliband swarms ... well possibly starved?

Old beekeeper in the pub said Spring warm weather will not start till 19th April this year, fine through May and then another very wet Summer, with some fine weather again in the Autumn.

Yeghes da
he should get a job on t.v. if he's that good. forecast says dry & warming up a bit mid week :)

Latest posts

Back