Out Apiary urgently required

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Not sure if this is the right place - please move if necessary admin :)

My new dog Bertie is now definitely allergic to bee stings, and is paranoid about going outside in the middle of the day...and living on anti-histamines (or so it seems)

So...

I urgently need an out apiary more than 3 miles from my home apiary in Bovey Tracey...Can anyone help? I have 5 hives at the moment and have been a beekeeper for 6 years

Had a similar problem a few weeks back... row of trees felled adjacent to my orchard apiary at the end of our "small holding"... allowing bees to give Mr AutoGlym's \[who lives in a small cottage at the end\\] cars a nice wax polish... he did not appreciate.
Now Mr Auto Glym has few hobbies, but taking powders, going to the gym and polishing his German Mini seem to be the main ones! Pointless exercise arguing with him, I do not know what the village will do for an idiot when he leaves!
The things he said about the bees and what he was going to do to them were not pleasant!!

I put a large notice on the gate and had offers of very suitable sites within hours!

Try it!

Yeghes da

I'm so sorry queens59! I hope you find somewhere xx

Thanks both, unfortunately I live in the last house in a cul-de-sac on a private road...so no-one sees my gate :( Even the locals don't know our house exists apparently! We have a local booklet called The Cottage, which might be an idea if we don't find something soon...

The things he said about the bees and what he was going to do to them were not pleasant!!

I put a large notice on the gate and had offers of very suitable sites within hours!

Yeghes da

I'd also put caltrops on his driveway and maybe, instead of the bees I
would have my morning George on his bonnet :D

Sorry for your trouble,my collie got stung when he followed me down to the beehives ,every time i put on my bee suit he would run in and hide in the hotpress

Yep - Poor Bertie sits in the patio door and won't come out after early morning till mid afternoon! Even worse is his 'sister' a retired Guide Dog Yellow Lab., just walks straight through the hives if she can - and to our knowledge has never been stung!

He just gets really flat, pale gums, lethargic etc., and even with anti-histamine he is a sad boy for 24 hrs or so - and it just isn't fair on him to go on much longer.

We are at the stage I need to plan new labels for local sales, but if I'm not keeping the bees there is no point - So catch 22 really...Do I or don't I?

My neighbour is a friend of some local farmers. He introduced to one of them and I had an out apiary the same day.

Thanks all - I may have somewhere...a house 3.2 miles away, sloped garden with flat terraces, and the previous owners successfully kept bees for years so hopefully it will work out...going to visit this afternoon. I'll keep looking more locally just as a stop gap too, in the hope I can move them back closer eventually...

If you are a member of Devon Association of Smallholders (DASH) you could put a 'wanted' ad in this months mag, f.o.c. You may get lucky. Deadline is the 17th. May I think for early June edition.

Thanks both, unfortunately I live in the last house in a cul-de-sac on a private road...so no-one sees my gate :( Even the locals don't know our house exists apparently! We have a local booklet called The Cottage, which might be an idea if we don't find something soon...

Put a WANTED notice in a plastic bag and nail it to some obvious tellegraph poles around Bovey... give you email as a point of contact.!

AND JMB George Third !!!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Not sure if this is the right place - please move if necessary admin :)

My new dog Bertie is now definitely allergic to bee stings, and is paranoid about going outside in the middle of the day...and living on anti-histamines (or so it seems)

So...

I urgently need an out apiary more than 3 miles from my home apiary in Bovey Tracey...Can anyone help? I have 5 hives at the moment and have been a beekeeper for 6 years

Try Freegle or similar re-cycling news groups, got my last site through them in a nice apple orchard.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put a WANTED notice in a plastic bag and nail it to some obvious tellegraph poles around Bovey... give you email as a point of contact.!

AND JMB George Third !!!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

Tie it don't nail or staple it. BT used to come down hard on traceable offenders sticking nails etc into their poles.

Tie it don't nail or staple it. BT used to come down hard on traceable offenders sticking nails etc into their poles.

Yup - still an offence, as far as I can see, under the Post Office Act 1908, Section 62, and punishable by fine:-

A person shall not, without due authority, affix or attempt to affix any placard, advertisement, notice, list, document, board, or thing, in or on, or paint or tar, any post office, post office letter box, telegraph post, or other property belonging to or used by or on behalf of the Postmaster-General, and shall not in any way disfigure any such office, box, post, or property.

My Village Hall Committee are in real trouble!

CVB

Thanks all - turned out the possible - wasn't possible, asthey ran 2 businesses from home and nowhere was more than a few feet fromthe path around the garden :( The only Freecycle around here refused my plea saying "it wasn't what they were created for"...As I am not a small-holder I am not in DASH (Does that matter)?

Thanks all - turned out the possible - wasn't possible, asthey ran 2 businesses from home and nowhere was more than a few feet fromthe path around the garden :( The only Freecycle around here refused my plea saying "it wasn't what they were created for"...As I am not a small-holder I am not in DASH (Does that matter)?

No it doesn't, but there is membership fee annually. Members can put for sale and wanted ads foc in the monthly mag.

Latest posts

Back