Diagnosing a Queenless Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Michael,
That is a new one on me. Look forward to testing in out when the bees give me an opportunity!

Where does this lie in the "Urban Myth" to "Experimentally Proven" scale of things?

I would think 700 hives is enough to dispel the urban myth side of things!

Would you still confirm the queenlessness with the addition of some eggs?

This sounded familiar so I looked up my records and there it was.

April 1st. NO BROOD but some polished cells.
Not as many bees as other three colonies and lots of fanning on top bars
April 9th. Still no brood, bees fanning madly on top frames so test frame in.

They were, infact, queen-less

Interesting, thank you!
I'll definitely remember that sign when I see it.

Now … why?
Maybe hoping to lure in a passing and navigationally uncertain Q coming back from a mating flight?

That combined with the wing flapping.

Usually I would say yes, but here with smell of snow in the air while the last days of prolongued indian summer passes, some queen right colonies are fanning and wing flapping. Bees look bit "confused" or what seems to me translated to a human world - deeply worried and all in checking to they didn't miss anything and little panicking.
Few years ago I had one suspected queenless colony which as I assumed lost queen at end of October and beginning of November. But cold days don't allowed me to do anything. While was hard snow on the ground, I just knocked once with a finger on a hive wall, and it buzzes prolongued - then I was sure they were queenless, also without knocking I could hear they are "heating" due to new ( drone) brood.
Later came really warm period ( over 20c day temp if I recall right) and I shake it out and "put a smile on several other colonies with extra honey frames" - early Christmass presents.
This season I don't like to even remember how many times had to intervene due to long lasting rain periods and various situations with queens. I work harder and harder and result become poor and poorer. In one moment I thought maybe to don't do anything it will be the right thing to do - nightmare.
Too much writting, ehh?

Michael,

Thanks for the video...yes, I've seen similar with Q- hives but didn't connect.

I just had a look on the online thesaurus and couldn't see an obvious alternative, would 'fluttering' fit?

richard

Last edited:
From tomorrow is coming stormy weather with cold and I think won't have opportunity to take some video at the weekend. It would be interesting to see differences. Cause as I recall it seems to me the similar behaviour, but camera would point differences if any..
With the bees I learned to use more the words " most likely" than certain ( learning from my own fails..).

Latest posts

Back