What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed the girls again this evening. B Special must make great syrup :winner1st: noticed several drones under the WBC probably wondering what they did wrong this afternoon. That must have been one heck of an eviction earlier today !!!Good luck to you lads.

Is it just me, or is it great making fresh syrup whilst drinking red wine and watching motogp ? :party:

Creaming honey with my new corkscrew "drill bit" from T*.

But, I do not think my battery Makita is up to the job, and really need a mains drill, or the Aldi 1200w plaster stirrer!

at this rate it's going to burn out!

nothing have had two eye ops in the last two weeks the girls will just have to get on without me for a while, they'll probably be pleased to have no interferance!

Lying in bed this morning I heard scratchings in the ceiling above (=above the ceiling). So, must dust off and deploy the mouse guards pronto. Rodents move into the loft and thatch every autumn so likely to be eyeing up my hives too. Hopefully the mg will be more effective in excluding rodents than the chicken wire which covers the thatch. Will also renew rat poison in the loft - apols to gently-nurtured forumites who love all furry creatures.

I heard the rustle of tiny feet in the attic this w/e too.
Traps in the garage have caught 4 mice this week.
Cazza

I have them set all year. The mice eat all my vegetables. I catch about one a day all year! Could do with a tame owl.......must make an owl box this winter!
E

Ours worked a treat...we had a family of Tawnies in it with a youngster who used to sit on a garden arch for weeks begging for food.

Go for it erichA.

I like to think that us "sad" beeks are trying to do our bit for the environment.

We usually have 2-3 broods of "Owls" around keeping us awake at night.

Tim.

I have them set all year. The mice eat all my vegetables. I catch about one a day all year! Could do with a tame owl.......must make an owl box this winter!
E

We have an owl box above the apiary complete with an internal mini cctv camera. The local owls have ignored it for the three years its been up!
Mind you another camera looking down the paddock beyond often records deer grazing. There seems to have been an explosion of deer numbers round us over the last five years.

Placed on of my new clear coverboards and had a quick peek at one of the frames. It was rammed full of concrete-hard ivy honey. Hope the bees can make the best of it, but I can see them needing some fondant before Spring.

Lugged 14l of thymolised syrup to 4 of my colonies. All very busy still with masses of yellow pollen going in. One double brood I struggled to heft so split the syrup between the other 3. All four should now have plenty to see them through.

Cleared some of the debris from a branch that fell and narrowly missed the bee shed.

Lovely to listen to, though. Often if we hoot in the evening an owl will fly by to investigate.

Bees busy on Ivy and no wonder, the blossom is dripping with nectar.

Ivy just about finished here or chrystallised!

Is that nectar or rain droplets? ;)
Lashing down here but driving to the Mumbles this morning, noticed (in a queue of traffic) a small patch of Balsam and a heavily dusted honey bee doing her job. :)

Checked the feeder and they are busy taking the contents down so poured another pint in, recorded it and will check again this Sunday, weather permitting.

Erichalfbee, yes chrystallised, I had heard about nectar chrystallising on the flower but first time I've seen it. Tastes quite nice, sweet

Latest posts

Back