Bee venom and mushrooms?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
I am usually completely insensitive to bee venom. Even multiple stings do not give me the slightest reaction. I went on a fungi foraging walk yesterday and moved my hives onto more secure hive stands afterwards to be ready for the storm of tonight and on of my darlings got me. I have now a red patch on my hand the size of a £1 coin. Am I developing a sensitivity or can the combination of certain foods (wild mushrooms in this case) exacerbate bee stings?

It must be said that I have been stung quite a bit this year as I have a very edgy colony that should be requeened next spring.

I am usually completely insensitive to bee venom. Even multiple stings do not give me the slightest reaction. I went on a fungi foraging walk yesterday and moved my hives onto more secure hive stands afterwards to be ready for the storm of tonight and on of my darlings got me. I have now a red patch on my hand the size of a £1 coin. Am I developing a sensitivity or can the combination of certain foods (wild mushrooms in this case) exacerbate bee stings?
It must be said that I have been stung quite a bit this year as I have a very edgy colony that should be requeened next spring.

The size of a £1 coin?!! No sympathy from me for anything sized less than a £10 note and as thick as a ham sandwich.

The size of a £1 coin?!! No sympathy from me for anything sized less than a £10 note and as thick as a ham sandwich.

not looking for sympathy at all. not bothered but I am just fascinated by how the body works. From nothing but a puncture of the skin to a £1 sized blotch is significant and If there is a such a thing as interaction between certain foods and bee venom, it would be nice to know for the more affected.

For the record, I have been eating Laccaria sp. and Russula sp.

I will try to remember to update next time I have a sting...

I'm allergic to petrol....

I get quite ill when I go to the kiosk and pay for it..:sorry:

Maybe or maybe not to sensitivity. The sting may have carried some bacteria into the skin.

Some medications can affect the reaction of a sting but never heard of food like wild mushrooms. Ibuprofen I know can.
See how you react next time you get stung.

Ah! Magic ones then.

I learned on the trip that the twisted logic in the UK is that you can not pick magic ones if you know they are magic and if you hand them to someone else you are drug dealing. If you accidentally eat them you should be fine legally but not if you accidentally pick them and give them to your companions to check the species as that would be dealing again.

considering species of the magic sort are as common as dirt that made me laugh. Especially when my 6 year old daughter remarked that it was not the mushrooms that were magic but the fairies living in them...

I learned on the trip that the twisted logic in the UK is that you can not pick magic ones if you know they are magic and if you hand them to someone else you are drug dealing. If you accidentally eat them you should be fine legally but not if you accidentally pick them and give them to your companions to check the species as that would be dealing again.

considering species of the magic sort are as common as dirt that made me laugh. Especially when my 6 year old daughter remarked that it was not the mushrooms that were magic but the fairies living in them...

Yeh but like anything, it only really counts if you get caught.

Yeh but like anything, it only really counts if you get caught.

and if you are running for elections, talking about it can win you votes...:rules:

Back