crocus out already

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I noticed that in the garden today the purple crocus are all out in full flower !! at the same time a few of the lavender are still in flower and a few of the roses and gladioli too, the temperature is forecast to reach 20 this weekend so who knows what will happen next.

Don't panic, its Autumn, and those would be Autumn-flowering Crocus - I hope! :)

Jeeeees, that'll be Autumn Crocus, not the same plant at all ...

We have Bramley apples in flower, and a forecast for gales tonight!

James

I don`t doubt your input guys and this would be what i would have thought, but we have been here for five years and never had them out at this time of year before, and we have not planted any autumn crocus, maybe the slugs got them every year before we noticed them, having said that the purple ones do come out first in our garden but never before Christmas, maybe they are usually late :)

I think off season blooms are quite common. There are dandelions in our field and I spotted a crop of bramble flowers in the hedge yesterday.
Until two weeks ago one of the elders in our garden had flowers and ripe berries on it.
Our autumn crocus is out too.

It's all very strange. I have spring heather in flower, also wall flowers which were planted to flower in spring. Some spring crocus up through the soil already. Noticed red clover still flowering as well. I know the bees aren't complaining. My garden has still lots of flowers still flowering. Dahlias, Cerinthe, Lavender, shasta daisy, nepeta, & some shrubs still flowering. Aubrieta has some flowers also. But find all these spring flowers in flower now is mad. Wonder will they all flower again come spring.

Ahh it's all gone crazy !!!

What are doing to the planet, tipping point , and most couldn't give a toss ! :(

Hmmm!

Not sure I'd quite go that far. Personally I'm a man made global warming heretic. I don't believe that an increase in CO2 can cause global warming. Now deforestation to grow biofuels is a whole different kettle of fish and deforestation in South America is a far likelier culprit for causing wet weather as is fertilizer run off causing massive algal blooms in the oceans.

I am a bit dubious about the cause of warming myself. After all we had tropical trees growing here in Britain millions of years ago according to geologists. However I don't think there is any room for polluting the planet any more than we need to.

I noticed that in the garden today the purple crocus are all out in full flower !! at the same time a few of the lavender are still in flower and a few of the roses and gladioli too, the temperature is forecast to reach 20 this weekend so who knows what will happen next.

Lucky you, Chrisfnvs! In all likelihood, they'll be crocus sativus = saffron crocus. This is the time of year that they are meant to flower.

Each crocus flower has three thin red stigmas, each of which dries to a strand of fragrant saffron. Not to forget the yellow stamens, powdered deep with pollen. They're for the Bermondsey bees !

Here's a picture of a clump of them on my allotment.

Last edited:
Yep could be the saffron crocus, we grow them too :)

Would add a picture. But not posted enough times on here yet to do so :(

This'll be 8 out 10 required, so just 2 more to go :rules: lol :)

Ahh it's all gone crazy !!!

What are doing to the planet, tipping point , and most couldn't give a toss ! :(

The planet has and will continue to have heat and cool periods throughout time. Were just coming back into the heating up period and if its anything like this year, I welcome it because the bees sure have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Colchicums (aka autumn crocus, meadow saffron) do look very like regular crocuses but are not related. One difference is that they tend to flower before the leaves emerge, whereas true crocuses usually come into leaf first then flower.

The planet has and will continue to have heat and cool periods throughout time. Were just coming back into the heating up period and if its anything like this year, I welcome it because the bees sure have enjoyed it.

I've enjoyed it too, it's keeping my gas bill down!
:)

Latest posts

Back