wanted - £25k to breed black bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
http://www..............................co.uk/

Hasn't BIBBA been doing this for almost 50 years?

I'm hugely cynical that breeding a race in isolation has any real benefit once it's released into the general population.

I believe BIBBA has even adapted it's philosophy toward encouraging beekeeping to 'improve' there bees to be better adapted to the UK climate which is likely to encourage those traits found in northern european bees.

The stuff around Isle of Wight disease seems a little flaky as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd rather p!ss my money away on the legendary (or should that be mythical) 'Flow Hive'.
Well as there seems to be loads of people with loads of cash to give away, maybe I should get them to fund a few worthwhile and beneficial projects I'd love to launch in Lesotho.

I think I'd rather p!ss my money away on the legendary (or should that be mythical) 'Flow Hive'.
Well as there seems to be loads of people with loads of cash to give away, maybe I should get them to fund a few worthwhile and beneficial projects I'd love to launch in Lesotho.

I'm utterly confused, what do you stand to gain if we lose our original bees altogether?
Do you have similar antipathy to rare breeds in other species?
"Dam those British lop breeders, I'd rather waste my money on plastic pig arcs that spit out ready made flashers!"
Would that look an odd thing to post on a pig keeping forum?

:sorry: I'm with JBM here, if people have money to 'donate' let's send it to where it will do some good, not some ****holes in oz.

I couldn't agree more there's far more important things in this world needing money than a soxxing black bee!
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Strange that these primordial black bees are housed in polyhives! Maybe they're temperature delicate, even in South Devon?

I'm hugely cynical that breeding a race in isolation has any real benefit once it's released into the general population.

They would be unlikely to live long enough to be released into the general population with this geezer.

Strange that these primordial black bees are housed in polyhives! Maybe they're temperature delicate, even in South Devon?

Or maybe the poly hive is nearer to natural tree hive insulation levels.

"http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/devon-british-black-bee-project"
"Would you buy a used car from this man?" Complete to--er.

I'm utterly confused, what do you stand to gain if we lose our original bees altogether?
Do you have similar antipathy to rare breeds in other species?
"Dam those British lop breeders, I'd rather waste my money on plastic pig arcs that spit out ready made flashers!"
Would that look an odd thing to post on a pig keeping forum?

I'm sorry, didn't realise I'd stumbled on to the website of the black bee taliban.
We have BIBBA setting up native bee or locally adapted bee breeding programmes everywhere , bee breeders who have been ostracized by BIBBA for not keeping exactly the right kind of black bee as far as they are concerned but who are producing 'black bees' a lot of them bred from Colonsay queens and countless people who keep the darker strains of bee dotted all over the country but all of a sudden we have another bunch trying to set up an AMM utopia. So forgive me for being a little cynical.
Maybe we should reflect on Sit Toby's very apt words from act II sc3 and apply them elsewhere?
Of course if I'm not allowed to have my own opinion I'll hark back to the beginning of that scene and 'hold my peace'

I should get them to fund a few worthwhile and beneficial projects I'd love to launch in Lesotho.
I promise I'll only populate the hives with native AM Adansonii

Or maybe the poly hive is nearer to natural tree hive insulation levels.
Oh no!.................. :banghead:

Research conducted in Tasmania (where Black Bees were taken during the early days of settlement) demonstrate that they thrive better than Italian bees in cooler and more mountainous areas

That's why they need the extra insulation of poly hives :rofl:

"http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/devon-british-black-bee-project"
Complete to--er.

Actually .. he's not. I'm certain that he is not doing this for any personal gain - he's really not that materialistic and the amount of money he is seeking to raise is hardly going to cover the envisaged costs.

Whilst I am not convinced that attempting to reintroduce the Black Bee to the UK, as a whole, has much chance of success when we are still importing tens of thousands of foreign queens and the current gene pool is so random that any introduction is diluted within a few generations of open mating, I can only applaud his effort for trying to bring native bees, adapted to our climate, to the forefront - particularly if it enhances a local bee population that already has elements of AMM within its morphology. Although I am not an AMM zealot or purist there appears to be traits found within black bees that are more suited to Northern European climes.

I've been to Mike Palmer's talk 'The Sustainable Apiary' tonight and one of the points that came across loud and clear is that it is highly desirable to have locally bred and locally adapted bees within our apiaries rather than flying in foreign or otherwise unsuitable strains of bee.

My bees are Fareham mongrels ... they came from a Fareham swarm and a Fareham swarm issued from my hive last year and must be somewhere local as I lost them ...But, they are small black bees with very little yellow on them so may have some AMM DNA in them - they fly in just about any weather and appear to cope robustly with living in this vicinity.

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, is the thought that local bees are the answer ... it's taken Mike Palmer years to get to the stage where he has his 'local' bees but it had to start at the point where a decision only to have local, locally bred and locally adapted bees was made. Perhaps more of us on this side of the Atlantic should be making the same decision before our bee stocks suffer the same degradation that US bee stocks seem to be suffering from.

I agree with PARGYLE, seems to be spouting a little common sense!

I believe that PC's Amm are stock from the Rame penninsular in Cornwall and not a mish mash of other dimes from Northumbria, Colonsay or even Wales Isle of Man or Ireland.
However from my own too short a chat with the laddie at the BIPCo day at Dobwalls' he seems to have seen the light re our Native bees and is estolling their virtues against a tide of importers and other nere-do-wells!

My own ( Cornish ) Amms are doing very well in both polly and cedar hives, yet to find out how they will fair in TBHs!

There are local pockets of black bees surviving and being kept happily in beehives in many places in the West Country, and I can see no reason why not.

My biggest surprise was an elderly lady keeping black bees on the edge of Dartmoor close to Okehampton, she said her father had tried to keep the "Abbey bees" but they were no where as good as his grandfathers stock of Dartmoor bees.
These in a framed foundationless "Coffin " hive!

There is room for populations of all subspecies of bee, are by area / valley by valley.

What was the paper written a few years back by a Belgiun beekeeper who found very distinctive and different types of bee doing just that?

No I am not going to replace all my yellow NZ Ligurian Loverlies
Just happy to keep both types of bee.. "Country and Western"! ( Blues Brothers film)

Yeghes da

I've been to Mike Palmer's talk 'The Sustainable Apiary' tonight and one of the points that came across loud and clear is that it is highly desirable to have locally bred and locally adapted bees within our apiaries rather than flying in foreign or otherwise unsuitable strains of bee.

Are "locally bred" and "locally adapted" not contradictions in terms? Breeding bees is about choosing characteristics for breeder queens that might not otherwise come to the fore. Docility and low swarming for example, both of which would likely not be favoured by natural selection. (I believe Mike's message is more to do with "locally bred").

Therein lies the contradiction in Phil Chandler's project. If we truly want bees that are simply better survivors, shouldn't we just let nature take it's course and see what we end up with? That would be free and more reliable. I'd be interested to know about the need for "expert help that doesn't come cheap".

As an aside, I spent a few hours in the Worcestershire archives 2 years ago, and discovered in the years after WW1 the county was restocked with black bees from Holland. And between the wars there was a renowned breeder of black bees operating in my current territory, and they sound like top notch bees to me, but then so are the Buckfast types I have now.

I couldn't agree more there's far more important things in this world needing money than a soxxing black bee!
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe people will think it's better to preserve and protect the native AMMs rather than importing lots of foreign (German) Buckfast queens. I certainly do!

CVB

Are "locally bred" and "locally adapted" not contradictions in terms? Breeding bees is about choosing characteristics for breeder queens that might not otherwise come to the fore. Docility and low swarming for example, both of which would likely not be favoured by natural selection. (I believe Mike's message is more to do with "locally bred").

Therein lies the contradiction in Phil Chandler's project. If we truly want bees that are simply better survivors, shouldn't we just let nature take it's course and see what we end up with? That would be free and more reliable. I'd be interested to know about the need for "expert help that doesn't come cheap".

As an aside, I spent a few hours in the Worcestershire archives 2 years ago, and discovered in the years after WW1 the county was restocked with black bees from Holland. And between the wars there was a renowned breeder of black bees operating in my current territory, and they sound like top notch bees to me, but then so are the Buckfast types I have now.

Probably my paraphrasing of Mike's 2 hour lecture that's at fault ... I took from him that his queens were locally bred by him and had become acclimatised or adapted over a period of time (my words not Mike's) to his rather unique beekeeping environment - so I saw two separate terms, not a contradiction but I can understand why you read it like that.

What PC appears to want to do is reinforce the existing black bee populations commencing where there are already similar populations in place and I can only commend that as one way of going forward.

The other way, as you point out, is obviously the one we have in freely mated queens in most of the UK at present and it clearly produces a wide variety of bee types - even within a single queen .. I still get a small number of stripy yellow bees within my predominantly black ones so evidently one drone who got to one of my queens (who mated freely last season) was not one of local descent - although I fully accept that colour provides little provenance when it comes to the other characteristics.

Buckfast bees were (and still are) bred for a variety of characteristics all of which are very positive attributes within bees for beekeepers and if you were able to guarantee these characteristics being passed on generation after generation then I think most UK beekeepers would happily take Buckies in preference to any other local or foreign bees. But, as I understand it, open mating on 2nd and 3rd generation Buckfasts can lead to less desirable characteristics.

My point was less about the other characteristics and more about suitability for the environment within which they live and perhaps ten years without upsetting the gene pool with imports in a locality could well result in the sort of hybrid/mongrels that I seem to have (fortunately) found that appear well adapted to the Costa del Fareham. The fact that they are easy to handle, great comb builders, prolific breeders, currently disease free and seem to tolerate or cope with a degree of varroa infestation is just icing on the cake. However, if they turned into the bees from hell I would not contemplate allowing a characteristic of this sort to continue ....

From the worrying picture Mike Palmer paints of the state of US Bee stocks and how they got to this state I can see that there are major benefits to be gained over there from adopting a sustainable apiary system on a localised basis... excluding the poorer bee stocks from the gene pool. I don't think we are yet at the stage in the UK where we are likely to suffer the sort of problems they face in the USA but I can see that what Phil Chandler is trying to do is a positive step and not a detrimental one. If anything it is very much akin to what Mike Palmer is doing in his beekeeping ... although I would not wish to put words in his mouth .. these are very much my views.

As for any personal financial consideration resulting ? - I still don't think that PC is motivated by monetary gain - or that he is intending to provide 'expert help' himself. But with about £500 raised so far from his crowd funding I think it's a bit immaterial !

Black Bees have a rather fetishistic following and are bestowed with magical powers.

If only pure black bees can be breed in isolation from the rest of the environment I'd question the sustainability of that.

I do agree endlessly importing bees isn't an answer and it's a safe bet small hive beetle will land here via that route.

I do think more time and money spent on educating and encouraging beekeepers to improve their local stock would probably have a longer term benefit overall.

But, as I understand it, open mating on 2nd and 3rd generation Buckfasts can lead to less desirable characteristics.

Not if they are mated with other Buckfasts, no more than any of the other sub species if they are mated with their own kind.

If anything it is very much akin to what Mike Palmer is doing in his beekeeping ... although I would not wish to put words in his mouth .. these are very much my views.

Nothing like what Mike Palmer is doing, if PC was put in charge of Mikes operation it would be akin to the killing fields.

Back