Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take noone in here ordered one then? As a full hive at £390 inc wax and frames isnt to bad. But its not very cost effective if u have more than one.

See I have extractor so by time I buy one and a full normal longsroth hive it becomes a dear do but if I buy there flow hive for 390 its a bargain but if I want 2 or more..... not so cheep. Thats 1 issue.... other issue is no more candle wax

Is there a luddite movement on the forum? :willy_nilly:

Not as far as I can see ... lots of innovators on here and many really at the forefront of keeping bees ... but I think this idea is just pandering to people who want to keep bees without the hassle factor. I've seen a few of them come and go even in the short time I've been involved with beekeeping. Anyone who tries to tell you it's as easy as putting some bees in a box and turning a handle is being disingenuous ... and that's not a word I use very often.

Thats 1 issue.... other issue is no more candle wax

And that's something else .. Bees actually do like producing wax .. that's why they each have six glands to produce it and all worker bees go through the stage of being wax producers and can revert to being wax producers if the colony requires it .... I think allowing bees to do what they do naturally - ie: make comb and fill it with brood, honey or pollen - is one of the key factors in keeping bees healthy and happy.

I won't be buying one ...

The thing is I was just about to launch my own crowdfund campaign for the "Blow Hive". Very similar except you need to provide your own compressor, and the hive has to be high enough to get a bucket under the mesh floor. I think I can do it cheaper.

The thing is I was just about to launch my own crowdfund campaign for the "Blow Hive". Very similar except you need to provide your own compressor, and the hive has to be high enough to get a bucket under the mesh floor. I think I can do it cheaper.

That won't work on its own ... you will need a pre-heater to flame off the cappings and melt the honey ... then you are in business ... perhaps one of these ....

http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/sip-fireball-342-34-121-btu-propane-gas-space-heater.html

I was thinking more along the lines of high frequency vibrations that the bees love so much, the sort of thing you use on wet concrete, to shake the hive just right so all the honey loses all viscosity. That's when you attach the compressor hose. Or better still, have a small child do it.

It reminds me a little of Simmins 'Double Conqueror Hive' that he used in the 1890's, totally useless in modern Beekeeping management.

I don't believe they don't know the honey is there. My little darlings are all over a spilt drop from yards away.

I don't believe they don't know the honey is there. My little darlings are all over a spilt drop from yards away.

+1

You would need drip proof piping and a close fit lid for the jars plus sun shields etc...

(Just imagine if it was advertised in the UK as it is currently shown.. The ASA would have a fit..)

Do you know - this could be the start of something revolutionary bringing everyone closer to the countryside. Imagine,
PYO honey!!!​

the great unwashed could turn up in their Chelsea tractors clutching their recycled honey jars - walk up to the hive, open a tap and take however much honey that they want - then pay at the gate on the way out.
The beekeeper won't have to shift from his armchair!!!

Do you know - this could be the start of something revolutionary bringing everyone closer to the countryside. Imagine,
PYO honey!!!​

the great unwashed could turn up in their Chelsea tractors clutching their recycled honey jars - walk up to the hive, open a tap and take however much honey that they want - then pay at the gate on the way out.

Genius!

The above quote is from the very first post on this topic! It shows that they really know nothing about beekeeping.

In the context of that quote they are talking about brood disease checks, many only do a full (proper) check for notifiable diseases a couple of times during a season.

Please note: it’s important to check the hive for disease and look after your colony as per usual. This does require keeping an eye on your bees and opening the hive and inspecting the brood if there are signs of pests or disease. Beekeepers usually check their brood once or twice a year.

Last edited:
PYO honey!!!​

Now ... here's the plan JBM - don't tell anyone though .. what we do is set up a couple of PYO beekeeping farms ... no bees just good looking hives with a few tubes coming out and taps on them .. inside a 20 litre tub of cheap honey connected to the tubes ... you sell the Chelsea Tractor brigade honey jars at a tenner a go and let them go and fill their own ... have a colouring table for the kids to make their own labels so Aunty Flo has a personalised pot of honey ... a few fluffy bees for them to stroke and sell them packets of wild flower seeds at vastly inflated prices ... it's got legs ... this time next year ... we could be making money from not keeping bees !

PYO honey!!!​

Be more like help yourself honey, over the back fence, grab a jar or 2 and go.

At least we won't have to sterilse the jars anymore, just leave them outside in all weathers and let the bees fill them.........and the wasps empty them.

Latest posts

Back