oh dear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see it becoming a legal requirement to be registered before selling honey.

It should be after some of the rubbish i have seen of late in the shops. Comb honey that was a rock hard brown mush that looked like dog s**t.

It should be after some of the rubbish i have seen of late in the shops. Comb honey that was a rock hard brown mush that looked like dog s**t.

Seen some of the same in various places, black comb that has had several generations of brood in it, then cut up to sell as comb honey.
Seen some stuff in jars in the shops that is not much better.

Stricter regulations and a registration system may be a good thing.

Enforcing the current regulations might be a good start.

Just mailed the bee inspector and gave her location for a disease check, should go down well. That was probably wrong of me but I keep 50+ colonies, sell a few Nuc's and want to ensure there is no disease around.

You shouldn't feel too bad about it. This is precisely the sort of person who slips through the net and the bee inspector needs to know about. If he pays her a visit and everything is fine with her bees, there is nothing lost. However, if she is seeding the area with diseased/infested swarms, she needs to be educated.

If things like horse meat within burgers from so say reputable suppliers & retailers can find there way into the food chain enforcing standards on honey may be a bit of an ask.
And be warned, even the most enticing jar of honey on the shelf could be a blend of God knows what from where!
More fool them for buying in the first place!
I like my honey and I'll tell you why........cause you can't buy it anywhere else. I'd like to think that's why my customers keep coming back.
Education is what's needed. There's an old saying that needs refreshing every so often,"How can you help bees? Find your local beekeeper and buy some honey from him". Rant coming to an end 😃
Rules & regulations in the main are only adeered to by the honest folk (my view), anyone out for a quick buck isn't going to be bothered. Their poor product should justify a premium price for a quality product.
Final comment, honey with 'bits n all' as I call it - there's some really tasty product out there with a loyal following. As long as it's produced to a high standard, clean jars etc then it only highlights how good local honey truly is.

Oh ere! This is the first thread I looked at this morning - all input now used - 😷

Is this a private Witch Hunt or can anyone join in?:sport-smiley-002:

Can't she simply ignore an inspection request?
It would be for a routine inspection unless there was a notifiable disease close by.

The difficulty here is that if her apiary is not know, even if there is a notifiable outbreak 500 yards down the road she won't get a visit from an inspector.

Having missed out on the courses she probably doesn't know about BeeBase yet, so it's just being a good neighbour and doing her a favour to register her apiary without her having to go to the bother... ;)

It should be a legal requirement to register, along with a license to keep bees. Both are coming.

yep, heard that rumour from an ex BBKA trustee last weekend, it all depends on whether they pass a new EU regulation, if HoneyBees are re-classified from "wild" to "Domesticated" animals then EU states will be required to register Beekeepers just as they do with cattle,sheep farmers etc

There is then the possiblity that requires also they also need to grant licences, and source/sale procedures

though hopefully not bee passort for indivual worker bees

Last edited:
The only reason the government want to know where all the cows, sheep pigs bees are is so they can kill all the said cows, sheep, pigs bees in a radius of an infection. THAT IS ALL. So you are registering your hives for destruction if the government so desires.

yep, heard that rumour from an ex BBKA trustee last weekend, it all depends on whether they pass a new EU regulation, if HoneyBees are re-classified from "wild" to "Domesticated" animals then EU states will be required to register Beekeepers just as they do with cattle,sheep farmers etc

There is then the possiblity that requires also they also need to grant licences, and source/sale procedures

Though hopefully not bee passort for indivual worker bees[/QUote

Hope we do not have to tag each bee as we have to with, cows, sheep and goats. There may also be a movement licence requirement.

The only reason the government want to know where all the cows, sheep pigs bees are is so they can kill all the said cows, sheep, pigs bees in a radius of an infection. THAT IS ALL. So you are registering your hives for destruction if the government so desires.

You're forgetting the unquenchable appetite for gathering databases, come the revolution you know the men in white coats are coming for us:leaving:

I am not being paranoid mbc.

The only other reason to make such databases is to pay another human lots of TAX PAYERS MONEY!

Latest posts

Back