oh dear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South East England has had another mild Winter so Asian hornets must be getting closer.....

What legal powers do Fera Bee Inspectors have?

Fera Bee Inspectors and other appointed authorised persons under the Bees Act 1980, the Bee Diseases Control Order 1982 (recently replaced by the Bee Diseases and Pests Control Order 2006) and the TARP regulations 2011. This gives them authority to:

Enter premises where it is believed bees, hives, appliances and bee products are kept;
Examine these items and to take samples in order to determine whether they are free from infection;
Mark any hive or appliance for identification purposes;
Destroy colonies infected with American foulbrood or European foulbrood;
Treat colonies infected with European foulbrood.

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=119

Last edited:
I think the call to the bee inspector is sensible.
:iagree:
I've done the same recently, with somebody who has bees not far from my main apiary.

I only found out they had bees when we were having a chat, then discovered their varroa control was having an open mesh floor, so the mites would fall off the bees and not be able to get back. They didn't know there was such a thing as foulbrood!

What legal powers do Fera Bee Inspectors have?

Fera Bee Inspectors and other appointed authorised persons under the Bees Act 1980, the Bee Diseases Control Order 1982 (recently replaced by the Bee Diseases and Pests Control Order 2006) and the TARP regulations 2011. This gives them authority to:

Enter premises where it is believed bees, hives, appliances and bee products are kept;
Examine these items and to take samples in order to determine whether they are free from infection;
Mark any hive or appliance for identification purposes;
Destroy colonies infected with American foulbrood or European foulbrood;
Treat colonies infected with European foulbrood.

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=119

Pete
I thought every beekeeper knew this, but obviously not. It should be one of the things pointed out to them when they first do a course.

Our local association has a disease lesson about the fifth week of the course and the local bee inspector is invited to run that lesson which they gladly do. He advises registering on beebase and points out what the bee inspectors job involves.

I usually attend the meeting as it is open to all members, to keep up with whats going on incase there are any changes that i need to know about.

Pete
I thought every beekeeper knew this, but obviously not. It should be one of the things pointed out to them when they first do a course.

Well that's probably because the ones who don't know have never done a course.

And there are some on here who reckon that all theory courses are a complete waste of time.

Disappointing when you voluntarily give up your own time to try to help others get started.

Well that's probably because the ones who don't know have never done a course.

And there are some on here who reckon that all theory courses are a complete waste of time.

Disappointing when you voluntarily give up your own time to try to help others get started.

:iagree:

It should be a legal requirement to register, along with a license to keep bees. Both are coming.

Quickest way to brass people off and create 'underground' beekeeping! This forum will become a 'dangerous liaison' and bees will discussed in 'hushed' tones. :eek: :icon_204-2:

Last edited:
Would be surprised. Fera seem cash strapped. Who's going to administer all the licences and do the policing?

Apparently, and could well be within the next couple of years.

I can see it becoming a legal requirement to be registered before selling honey, but not just for keeping bees, it's quite easy to become an inadvertent keeper of bees.

Would be surprised. Fera seem cash strapped. Who's going to administer all the licences and do the policing?

As usual it will be an EU thing, and they will finance it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back