oh dear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a problem any more, her last remaining hive has dwindled and died out. Nosema would be my guess as the front of the hive, top bars of frames and even the faces of the combs I could get out were covered in crap.

New problem is asking her not to just leave the hives as is for a nice healthy swarm to come along in the summer, its what she normally does.
Even asked me if I get a swarm could I let her know.

So from 6 hives to 0 in 4 months, happened before apparently about 3 or 4 years ago, but normally 2 or 3 survive.

Unfortunately there will always be people around like that and not just confined to beekeeping.

Unfortunately there will always be people around like that and not just confined to beekeeping.

It's called "saving the bees"... :paparazzi:

Not a problem any more, her last remaining hive has dwindled and died out. Nosema would be my guess as the front of the hive, top bars of frames and even the faces of the combs I could get out were covered in crap.

New problem is asking her not to just leave the hives as is for a nice healthy swarm to come along in the summer, its what she normally does.
Even asked me if I get a swarm could I let her know.

So from 6 hives to 0 in 4 months, happened before apparently about 3 or 4 years ago, but normally 2 or 3 survive.

Perhaps this is an ideal OPPORTUNITY to demonstrate to her that you have actually "saved the bees" better than she has done, and that you and others at the Association would be prepared to help her to more effectively "save the bees"?

There is a web sight called Milkwood, where they teach people to live off the land. Admittedly it is in Australia but I love to see people who are capable of doing things perfectly, instead of people who know nothing about a subject, but ridicule others.
Here is a couple of pictures of what a Warre Hive should be like.

Attachments

• 8695178870_6c63fedfdc_c.jpg
    8695178870_6c63fedfdc_c.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 43
  • NBK-thumb-11.jpg
    NBK-thumb-11.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 38
There is a web sight called Milkwood, where they teach people to live off the land. Admittedly it is in Australia but I love to see people who are capable of doing things...

I've seen their website and visit it quite frequently as there is always something new in it.. I'm quite interested in permaculture, straw bale building, aquaponics and a whole variety of self sufficiency ideas and it's a website that incorporates these and more. If you have ten minutes to spare then it's worth a look - set out like a nice coffee table book, you can just dip in. It's not and 'in yer face hippy commune' site ... much more than that. Pity they are the other side of the world or I'd be down there for a look.

http://www.milkwood.net/about/

I think my mate Miles Durand (from Lesotho) is involved with them as well - he's a big name in permaculture -although I did have to teach him a few wrinkles on worm breeding :D He's back in OZ now

Perhaps this is an ideal OPPORTUNITY to demonstrate to her that you have actually "saved the bees" better than she has done, and that you and others at the Association would be prepared to help her to more effectively "save the bees"?

Could start by helping her sanitize the hives - i'm sure we could all donate a pint or two of petrol each :D

Could start by helping her sanitize the hives - i'm sure we could all donate a pint or two of petrol each :D

Unfortunately, this is probably the best way forward ... it's this sort of 'leave alone' beekeeper that gives rise to the myth that 'barefoot beekeepers' are all bad .... she won't change and she's safer without bees. Burn the hives before she does any more damage .... I'm not usually that extreme ..:sorry:

she won't change and she's safer without bees. Burn the hives before she does any more damage .... I'm not usually that extreme ..:sorry:

Not really a good thing to be suggesting really, to go and burn another persons property, we have already had one long thread where a beekeeper up north was suggesting this, and another thread where someones hives have been burnt, perhaps that was done with the same idea in mind.

I have invited her down to see my hives and to the association bee disease day in May, her answer 'maybe we will see' . Also offered to show her how to use Acetic acid and melt some frames down for trading in the wax for fresh foundation, 'it would be a shame to destroy all their hard work' she seems to have forgotten they that built it are now dead.
Anyway, the leading to water I can do.............the rest is personal choice.

Natural Beekeeping is like mining for gold. There is some real value in there but there is a lot of dross to sift through, even in a rich seam.

I have invited her down to see my hives and to the association bee disease day in May, her answer 'maybe we will see' . Also offered to show her how to use Acetic acid and melt some frames down for trading in the wax for fresh foundation, 'it would be a shame to destroy all their hard work' she seems to have forgotten they that built it are now dead.
Anyway, the leading to water I can do.............the rest is personal choice.

Hi Pete,
You are doing a great job. 'Rome was not built in a day' just keep on going. Do make sure other association members treat her well if she comes along.

Not really a good thing to be suggesting really, to go and burn another persons property, we have already had one long thread where a beekeeper up north was suggesting this, and another thread where someones hives have been burnt, perhaps that was done with the same idea in mind.

With permission of course .... I would never suggest such action on an arbitrary basis.

Not really a good thing to be suggesting really, to go and burn another persons property,

Ey, I'm Welsh - descended from king Hywel Dda,Rhys ap Gruffydd Rhys ap Tewdur, Owain Tudor with distant cousins such as Llywelyn the great,Llywelyn ein llyw olaf and Owain Glyndŵr.........................I'm allowed :D

Ey, I'm Welsh - descended from king Hywel Dda,Rhys ap Gruffydd Rhys ap Tewdur, Owain Tudor with distant cousins such as Llywelyn the great,Llywelyn ein llyw olaf and Owain Glyndŵr.........................I'm allowed :D

So you are descended from thieves?

I would not advertise the fact.. :sunning::sunning::sunning:

Edit Of course one of my ancestors was hung for Border reiving...

So you are descended from thieves?
Only stealing back what was pinched from them in the first place :D

Although I believe a distant relative was hanged for stealing a sheep (which made a change from what they usually did to them :eek:)

Only stealing back what was pinched from them in the first place :D

Although I believe a distant relative was hanged for stealing a sheep (which made a change from what they usually did to them :eek:)

:eek:

Latest posts

Back