oh dear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
Had my first encounter with a 'bare foot beekeeper' (her words) today.
She lives in the next village. Has kept bees for 10 years, between 2 and 6 colonies. Her numbers vary every year as the swarms often make it through but her resident colonies often die out over winter. Never treated for anything, doesn't feed at all, not on bee base never seen a bee inspector, no swarm control, when her boxes are full she just lets them go and find a nice home somewhere. She does harvest honey and sells it.
Its what natural beekeeping is all about, letting the bees do what nature intended, live, die, swarm, starve.

I asked her about joining the local association, not interested because we have differing viewpoints on what is best for the bees.

Just mailed the bee inspector and gave her location for a disease check, should go down well. That was probably wrong of me but I keep 50+ colonies, sell a few Nuc's and want to ensure there is no disease around.

She lives in the next village. Has kept bees for 10 years, between 2 and 6 colonies. Her numbers vary every year as the swarms often make it through but her resident colonies often die out over winter. Never treated for anything, doesn't feed at all, not on bee base never seen a bee inspector, no swarm control, when her boxes are full she just lets them go and find a nice home somewhere. She does harvest honey and sells it.
Its what natural beekeeping is all about, letting the bees do what nature intended, live, die, swarm, starve.

I asked her about joining the local association, not interested because we have differing viewpoints on what is best for the bees.

Just mailed the bee inspector and gave her location for a disease check, should go down well. That was probably wrong of me but I keep 50+ colonies, sell a few Nuc's and want to ensure there is no disease around.
My way of thinking is: you should either "look after them" (i.e. use one the many methods) or just have a "bee box" (i.e. the honeybee equivalent of a bird box), and leave them completely alone.

She seems to be taking honey from the bees and then not giving them a fair exchange of care.

More lazy than natural beekeeper I'd say. I know people that don't treat but do give them space and swarm control.

Bet she keeps cats aswell.......

Surprised varroa hasn't had a big impact. Then again maybe it has if she loses her colonies over winter and only the swarms survive. I think the call to the bee inspector is sensible. Not going to be popular though!

Bet she keeps cats aswell.......

Nothing wrong with a couple of cats about the place.

Doesn't mean I'm mad, bad or don't look after my bees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on ya Pete. I strongly believe we should register with BEE Base. I have to comply with TB testing of my cattle to prevent disease spread.

Very wise, Pete.

But how does she square 'stealing' honey while she lets them get on with it?

Good on ya Pete. I strongly believe we should register with BEE Base. I have to comply with TB testing of my cattle to prevent disease spread.

It's those rogue cow keepers who only started when stray cows flew into their gardens we h ave to watch out for :rolleyes:

If I had 50 plus colonies next to a person who has bees but don't keep them I would be concerned. With the advent of varroa these let alone beekeepers ( so called ) have no place

"Bet she keeps cats aswell.......

Nothing wrong with a couple of cats about the place.

Doesn't mean I'm mad, bad or don't look after my bees. "

nor 35!!!!!

Can't she simply ignore an inspection request?
It would be for a routine inspection unless there was a notifiable disease close by.
Alec

It should be a legal requirement to register, along with a license to keep bees. Both are coming.

Yeah right.
Why do we feel that paying 'the man' makes everything ok?

Without a notifiable outbreak in the area, she can tell them to jog on.

Latest posts

Back