thrones sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice you can get all the national boxes with TBS for an extra £6.00 a box.

Not in the sale kit. Well not last year.

I have decided to get a router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone know what a "uni mel" is?

Yep, I just asked them.

A 3 frame tangential extactor.

Thanks
I tried a search for it on their site before I asked, and it didnt show up, so they must have added it after you asked them.

Asked Gill why I hadn't got my email ... came back very quickly - working their way through the mailing list - takes several days - so, if you haven't got your notification don't panic - will be along soon !

so they must have added it after you asked them.

Veg,

No, not at all. It was there all along.

Just that I did the simple thing and picked up the phone and asked thoe who should know. One minute and got the answer from the supplier. (JBG -Take note, the supplier answered the question)

Just spelt wrong, that was all. Simply sorted by asking the supplier, who should know.

RAB

The large copper smoker looks good for 20 quid although I have never used a copper smoker, anyone know if they are better than the stainless steel version

Proper stainless are regarded as slightly better because stainless steel will not lose heat quite as quickly as a copper one. Not much in it and they both squash if run over by a pickup truck, I believe.

The cheap (or even expensive) stainless steel look-alikes are rubbish. Buyer beware.

Proper stainless are regarded as slightly better because stainless steel will not lose heat quite as quickly as a copper one. Not much in it and they both squash if run over by a pickup truck, I believe.

The cheap (or even expensive) stainless steel look-alikes are rubbish. Buyer beware.

Just make sure it can fit an Illy tin, courtesy of @jackstraw at http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=444977&postcount=27 . As close to genius as this forum has come, IMHO.

Back in march I bought frames/wax of thrones and want to top up with another few in this sale but wondering should I hold off and save the postage. What I'm looking to know do they hold a sale every march for Irish customers and bring over the products while they are attending the north of Ireland conference or was that a one off.

First off, (and this point relates mainly to NI forumers) if your order is over £100-00 there is/was free postage within the UK.

Secondly, over the past couple of years Thornes have given customers on the island of Ireland the option of collecting their sales purchases at the Ulster Bee Keepers Association annual conference at Greenmount in March. From memory, you put a note to this effect in the comments /instructions box when you place your online order. Please note that to collect your sale items at Greenmount, you will have to pay entry into the conference.

First off, (and this point relates mainly to NI forumers) if your order is over £100-00 there is/was free postage within the UK.

Secondly, over the past couple of years Thornes have given customers on the island of Ireland the option of collecting their sales purchases at the Ulster Bee Keepers Association annual conference at Greenmount in March. From memory, you put a note to this effect in the comments /instructions box when you place your online order. Please note that to collect your sale items at Greenmount, you will have to pay entry into the conference.

Do ya know is it still free shipping to North of Ireland. I was going to wait until march again to buy frames but if postage is free, I'll buy now.

Like trying to split hairs! Can't see there being much of a difference

Like trying to split hairs! Can't see there being much of a difference

I would expect Redwood to be a little more discerning. You totally discounted the other part of my post?

I am not going to do the simple thing - and ask them for confirmation on that one.

We are about to return a stainless steel item to a well known supplier. Sold for a specific application but scales and spalls a large (take that as excessive) amount. Clearly not 18+% Chromium and very likely short on Nickel, as well. Not the material which I would expect for the duty cycle, so not fit for purpose.

There's a lot of grades of stainless steel , you have stainless steel what quality is you only get what you pay for , company's are buying in from cheaper markets to keep cost down, maybe from china?.

Copper ones have more scrap value..

what quality is you only get what you pay for

You forget the cost of an item is not only for the materials - there are other costs involved in converting an ingot into a finished product. The difference in material costs for this particular item would not have been so great. Certainly, the manufacturing cost would have been a little greater. But marketing the wrong grade, for the particular duty envisaged, is unacceptable in my book. Comparable, almost, to the proverbial chocolate teapot.

Doubtless, there will be many who buy and do not return the item. But they may well avoid, or be wary of, that supplier in the future, or not give others a good recommendation - if asked about the quality of items from that supplier. There may well be some that accept this item and put up with its shortcomings, knowing no better. I didn't.

I shall continue to recommend the company but warn against this particular product, if it persists in their product line-up.

RAB

Latest posts

Back