Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone noticed that the product will not work with an Australian hive. Would this be so they cant be prosecuted when they fail to deliver under distance selling rules?

if they do get produced. I wonder when the first will be sold on ebay or a beekeeping auction after delivery.

Hope the bee sellers like paynes, thornes etc get ready for the mass requests for package bees.

Never mind the 3m GBP pledged. What worries me is how this has caught the public imagination. All sorts of non-beeks are emailing me links saying, 'Have you seen this'? A google search on honey flow hives, currently yields 474,000 hits. Clearly the idea appeals to a broad population and is going viral.

One other possible drawback to the approach surely is that if you do not use a queen excluder (as is common practice here in Thailand), you inevitably end up with some brood and larvae in the honey supers. Turning the handle could result in a horrible mess.

Also, the moisture content of honey produced from honey flow hives may well be unacceptable as some amount of uncapped honey is likely to be harvested with each turn of the handle.

Or am I missing something?

One other possible drawback to the approach surely is that if you do not use a queen excluder (as is common practice here in Thailand), you inevitably end up with some brood and larvae in the honey supers. Turning the handle could result in a horrible mess.

Or am I missing something?

The cells are too deep for brood.

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a scam, it's likely an honest attempt at beehive engineering, but I wouldn't bet any money on this version being a long term success.

I can visualise a redesign on the idea that would give it a much higher chance of a working product, but I'm not going to post my ideas on that in a public place !

What concerns me more is the multiple impacts of many unknowledgable new beekeepers doing the equivalent of "a dog is just for christmas"

Anyone here remember the Urban beehive that you could hang on your towerblock window and watch the bees bring in free honey?

Yeghes da

Especially when the frames become a real mess in a very short space of time and need cleaning to get rid of crystalised honey so that the system works again. They will then realise that removing supers and extracting is the more efficient and less wasteful way of doing things. I have taps on my honey buckets and they work great.

Lets not forget heather honey. Imagine trying to get that out :yeahthat:

I'm only a part qualified accountant and stand to be corrected, but, if they are UK residents they are liable to income tax (Trading and Other Income Act)on their world-wide income. If they are non-residents, they are liable to income tax on their UK income. If they are a limited company, they are liable to Corporation Tax.

Yup.
I only really looked cos it crossed my mind I could put together a book of my poetry about bees as a teaser for crowd funding some money to buy John a new hive after the arson.

Yup.
I only really looked cos it crossed my mind I could put together a book of my poetry about bees as a teaser for crowd funding some money to buy John a new hive after the arson.

I'm sorry. That would be classed as "earned income" and taxed at the appropiate rate. There are really only three groups that are exempt: charities, representatives of foriegn countries and members of foreign armed forces serving here.

What if you put the story up on Facebook and people send you money?
I was thinking of Alan Barnes as an example.

What if you put the story up on Facebook and people send you money?
I was thinking of Alan Barnes as an example.

This is a bit :offtopic: but those donations could end up causing more problems. I imagine he's on some sort of incapacity benefit. Now, can you imagine what this sudden unexpected source of income would do there?

I know HMRC do make mistakes occassionally but they do have rules and follow them

This is a bit :offtopic: but those donations could end up causing more problems. I imagine he's on some sort of incapacity benefit. Now, can you imagine what this sudden unexpected source of income would do there?

I know HMRC do make mistakes occassionally but they do have rules and follow them

Not if the TV is to be believed.....Starbucks, Vodaphone, HSBC, "Sir" Philip Green?
Hmmm! ...... Looks as though they follow them, 'loosely'. Must be nice to have friends like them!:),

This is a bit but those donations could end up causing more problems. I imagine he's on some sort of incapacity benefit

Some benefits are not taxed

Incapacity benefit has been replaced by ESA ( Employment Support Allowance)
which is taxable
Some on long term DLA ( Disability Living Allowance) issued before 1994 are not taxed on this proportion of their income

"Benefits and tax are a nightmare to us and often end up at a tribunal wasting £1000 of taxpayers money" to quote the chap at the DWP head office.

Of course the biggest "Crowdfunding" even was the Midge Mure / + the Irish pop star whose name escapes me... now Sir something or other?... Save the World do a few years back... Thatcher I seem to recall wa quick to grab VAT out of all the donators pockets!

Wher's me pills

Yeghes da

=
Of course the biggest "Crowdfunding" even was the Midge Mure / + the Irish pop star whose name escapes me... now Sir something or other?... Save the World do a few years back... Thatcher I seem to recall wa quick to grab VAT out of all the donators pockets.

Your memory is failing along with everything else:

There was no VAT on any donations but VAT was payable on the sales of the records etc. from Live Aid but the Conservative, Thatcher led, Government at the time made a donation equivalent to all the VAT that had been paid on these items. (There being no way that VAT could be 'waived' as it's a point of sale, end user, tax that works on a tax classification by category of product not individual items - accounting for it as a zero rated item would have been impossible).

Subsequent governments have actually followed Thatcher's lead in returning the VAT in the way of a donation for product sold after similar fund raising events.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3990253.stm

Oddly, the only one who got into hot water was Tony Blair who declined to comment on whether he would make the same gesture as Thatcher had made in 1984 on the Band Aid fund raiser .. then an hour later Gordon Brown made the decision ... one of his better ones (IMO).

Latest posts

Back