Selling propolis and Royal Jelly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi all, wanted to pick your brains about something... does anyone have any experience with selling royal jelly or propolis? This wouldn't be my own production but I have a friend who has a contact in Europe who produces these in large quantities and is looking to access the markets here. What are the rules on selling these 'homeopathic' remedies? I've noticed a fair few on amazon and such like? Or is it easier to sell to a company that then uses it in products?

Any guidance much appreciated!

Lots of both of them sold on ebay ... In their raw state I don't think it's a problem but if you start offering it in creams or potions of any sort you will run into the pharmaceutical and/or cosmetics regs which are pretty horrendous.

Lots of both of them sold on ebay ... In their raw state I don't think it's a problem but if you start offering it in creams or potions of any sort you will run into the pharmaceutical and/or cosmetics regs which are pretty horrendous.

yes, both would be sold in raw state... i'm wondering if there are any resources on labeling them? My guess is that royal jelly is considered a food supplement? Also propolis normally comes disolved in alcohol doesn't it so migt be a label issue?

If you have a look closely at the labels on some of the products being sold as propolis and royal jelly on ebay they are pretty marginal in terms of what is actually being sold ... and indeed, the proportions of Prop and RJ that are in them ... I think, as long as you are not selling either with any medical claims or claims that they will do anything medicinal or make them into anything that could be used as a cosmetic or skin cream you are probably going to be OK. There's a couple of threads on here about labelling of products made from honey and/or wax and I would imagine the same regulations will apply ... would have a search but I'm just about to prepare the cheap mangoes I bought in Lidl this afternoon (only 69p each !) to make a batch of Mango Chutney ... so just a quick dive into the forum tonight ...

Latest posts

Back