Honey Jars & Lids Problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Well only another problem seems everything I order to do with bees goes wrong somewhere.

I ordered 12oz Hex jars (84 pack) from a company, 100 gold tamper stickers, 100 gold honeycomb 63 mm lids.

Well its all arrived after getting sent to wrong address, meh it happens not everyone perfect.

I spent this evening sterilizing all jars/lids getting jarring tank/bucket ready and i was all ready to start jarring properly for the first time/season.

Jarred up 1 jar of honey a couple air bubbles but that I'm not worried with, went to put the lid on and what do i find they DON'T LOCK tight. I screw them on a little tight then POP the lid comes loose!!

Anyone had this problem before????? I've just pretty much wasted the whole evening and now I know next time to check the lids and jars first but tbh that's not the point I'm annoyed.

Insy

I understand your annoyance - you must get on the phone to your supplier first thing tomorrow and explain the problem, maybe they just sent the wrong lids for the jars?

Personally never had a problem with stuff bought from any of the UK bee equipment suppliers......they know we can alwats come on here and trash their business

richard

There are twist lids and screw lids, they are different and fit different threads on the jars, methinks you ordered or were sent the wrong ones for the jars. Easy mistake!
E

this is what both products say

£17.10
1 pack contains:84 jars.

63mm lid size required.

Dimensions:Height 98mm, Accross Corners 78mm, Neck Finish 63mm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

£7.20
1 pack contains:100 lids.
If ordering multiples of 100 lids please indicate if you need them bagged separately. Please choose lid colour from drop down menu below.

Is there such a thing as over tightening the lid which makes it pop or should this not be happening end of?

As said earlier check you have correct lid style for jars twist and screw don't work together. and like any thread you can over tighten and stretch thread, hence pop I assume.

Just hand tight and then tip jar upside down honey then gives a final seal.

Colin

As per richardbees above.

Check with your supplier that those things are intended to fit together.
It sounds as though the threads aren't matched.

this is what both products say

£17.10
1 pack contains:84 jars.

63mm lid size required.

Dimensions:Height 98mm, Accross Corners 78mm, Neck Finish 63mm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

£7.20
1 pack contains:100 lids.
If ordering multiples of 100 lids please indicate if you need them bagged separately. Please choose lid colour from drop down menu below.

Is there such a thing as over tightening the lid which makes it pop or should this not be happening end of?

Yes, I've used the twist off lids and jars and I have also made them pop off by over tightening the lid. The lids should be tight but not too much to make them pop.

I suspect you have the right lids for the jars though.

Muswell i have the same grips/notches on my lids maybe I'm over tightening them, never had that before as long as honey doesnt leak when tipped upside down there good?

As said earlier check you have correct lid style for jars twist and screw don't work together. and like any thread you can over tighten and stretch thread, hence pop I assume.

Just hand tight and then tip jar upside down honey then gives a final seal.

Colin

Nooooooooooooo!!!:hairpull:

Couple of things.

It may be that you have one lid that is at the edge of its production tolerance and doesn't quite fit. It may be worth trying another one to see if the fit is better.

Also, it's important that the mating surfaces of the lid and jar rim are perfectly dry and grease/silicone/honey free. Any lubricant will allow the rim to slip on the seal which will allow torsion to displace the lugs on the lid to make it pop. A dry fit will create frictional resistance to prevent the lid from turning further so that torque pressure becomes too great to easily pop the lid off. It may mean that you might have to wash the lids to remove traces of silicone remaining on the rubber seal post production.

Hope you sort your problem.

Best of luck

Well only another problem seems everything I order to do with bees goes wrong somewhere.

I ordered 12oz Hex jars (84 pack) from a company, 100 gold tamper stickers, 100 gold honeycomb 63 mm lids.

Well its all arrived after getting sent to wrong address, meh it happens not everyone perfect.

I spent this evening sterilizing all jars/lids getting jarring tank/bucket ready and i was all ready to start jarring properly for the first time/season.

Jarred up 1 jar of honey a couple air bubbles but that I'm not worried with, went to put the lid on and what do i find they DON'T LOCK tight. I screw them on a little tight then POP the lid comes loose!!

Anyone had this problem before????? I've just pretty much wasted the whole evening and now I know next time to check the lids and jars first but tbh that's not the point I'm annoyed.

how did you sterilise the lids, could be you have damaged the seal, they should not be heated or put in a dishwasher

how did you sterilise the lids, could be you have damaged the seal, they should not be heated or put in a dishwasher

That said, Muswell, I have done both with never a problem.

I have used same lids and jars (probably from the same supplier) heated/dishwasher and no problems, how else do you sterilize them.

leaflet that came from Patterson with12oz hex jars and 63mm gold lids, said not to sterilise or rinse lids in water above 45c

The molding number and marks of the jars are the same as most suppliers but the lids look identical to others ( however when i have dishwashed the returned jar and lids, the gold of the lid fades compared to older lids...could just be that rather than the seals

, i have noticed simliar temp max on american Mason Jar lids ( ie their Kilner Jars) whereas almost identical Kilner jar lids sold in the UK are steralised on the jar in an oven at high temps or in a pressure cooker

Okay so second attempt.....

20 jars filled and capped, tight but not tight enough for them to pop :D

Tried the 2 lids again which popped to easy and they still popping so must just be a pair of duffs.

Panic over hopefully not many more lids in batch does it :D.

Latest posts

Back