Past module papers for free

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterBK

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
wintering 23
BBKA members can now download copies of recent past Module papers from the BBKA web site for free.

only if you can get on the site.

There is logic behind this as the papers produced before 2011 had a different mark allocation compared with recent papers as the older papers were marked out of 75 (with the section C question allocated 25 mks and section B questions 10 mks each). From 2011 all papers have been marked out of 100 with the C question allocated 30 marks and B questions 15 mks each. No change in section A (10 questions each allocated one mark). However section A (which contains relatively straight forward recall questions) now represents a smaller percentage of the total marks (as the total mark for the paper increased).

In addition, because of recent syllabus updates in some of the modules the older papers may not reflect the content of todays syllabi ie candidates would be wise to look at the more recent papers to get a more realistic idea of the sort of thing to expect.

Last edited:
There is logic behind this as the papers produced before 2011 had a different mark allocation compared with recent papers as the older papers were marked out of 75 (with the section C question allocated 25 mks and section B questions 10 mks each). From 2011 all papers have been marked out of 100 with the C question allocated 30 marks and B questions 15 mks each. No change in section A (10 questions each allocated one mark). However section A (which contains relatively straight forward recall questions) now represents a smaller percentage of the total marks (as the total mark for the paper increased).

In addition, because of recent syllabus updates in some of the modules the older papers may not reflect the content of todays syllabi ie candidates would be wise to look at the more recent papers to get a more realistic idea of the sort of thing to expect.

MB

yes I agree with you, some of the older papers can be very misleading

I have also noticed a welcome trend towards more questions on good beekeeping practice rather than questions on information for information's sake, hopefully the BBKA will not follow Michael Gove's leadandreverve that trend

There is logic behind this as the papers produced before 2011 had a different mark allocation compared with recent papers …

I understand that only posting papers since 2011 is actually deliberate policy.

However, questions from old papers do present useful revision/discussion/homework material for study groups and such.
Since such learning should not be rigidly constrained by the perception of the exam syllabus (let alone "this year's version" of the syllabus), I don't see how recent syllabus tweaking has suddenly rendered these materials so unhelpful that they need to be withdrawn.

The papers to download are free whereas previously there were charged a £1 each surely Itma must welcome that. The subject limited content of each module syllabus obviously restricts the range of questions that can be set by the examiner so having 4 years of past papers covers most of what a candidate can reasonably expect. If you want papers prior to 2011 then ask around as someone in your association (exam sec) will be hoarding some (also many of the correspondence course tutors and previous exam paper setters have a collection of past papers).

Last edited:
The papers to download are free whereas previously there were charged a £1 each surely Itma must welcome that.

If you want papers prior to 2011 then ask around as someone in your association (exam sec) will be hoarding some (also many of the correspondence course tutors and previous exam paper setters have a collection of past papers).

I do welcome that £3 of past exam papers can now be downloaded for free.
What a pity that it coincides with the announcement that the module exam fee is increasing by £5 per exam! (£25 a paper starting March next year.)

It doesn't seem as though either of my associations have such an archive.
Hence, I'd like to build one for them. Mind you, I could put the exam sec on the job … :)

A welcome move.

Never understood the logic of charging for past papers once they were online rather than posted. For an educational charity the aim has to be to encourage learning and anything that promotes education should not be behind barriers. Exams themselves are perhaps different in that there are real costs of printing, distributing, meetings, exam rooms and so on. But putting off learners at the start of study by charging for what is actually only a byproduct of previous exams is counter productive.

Next advance is to make model answers available.

A welcome move.

Never understood the logic of charging for past papers once they were online rather than posted. For an educational charity the aim has to be to encourage learning and anything that promotes education should not be behind barriers. Exams themselves are perhaps different in that there are real costs of printing, distributing, meetings, exam rooms and so on. But putting off learners at the start of study by charging for what is actually only a byproduct of previous exams is counter productive.

Next advance is to make model answers available.

Old thread I know, and has been mentioned elsewhere but they are charging again for papers and this has appeared on the BBKA's own forum

From the BBKA Forum:
http://www. bbka .org.uk/members/forum.php?t=8330

Moderators Note
I have been asked by Margaret Murdin, BBKA Chairman, to point out that for copyright reasons it is illegal for the past module papers to be displayed online.
As I understand it the charge was reintroduced to help fund the Exam Board.
Roger Patterson.

Some of the module revision groups on facebook will share past papers for free .

Latest posts

Back