How much for 8oz jar of run honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaghbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national hives
Just wondering how much i charge for 8oz jar of run honey. This is my first harvest so not sure. Thanks

Hi Ratcatcher nice photos pity about the air bubbles in the corners of jar on right I have a thin spoon that I have bent the end like a hook and you can pull those bubbles out and they come to the top presentation much better just a thought

£4.00 for 8oz
£4.50 for 12oz
£5.50 for 16oz
£6.50 for 12 oz with chunk in it
The public prefer 12oz to 8 oz jars, they look as though they are getting more for their money!
Oh and be careful if you are calling it runny honey. It may be runny now but it may set!
E

I was not criticising I was just passing on a tip that I have found works for me of course there is nothing wrong with your honey everyone to their own sorry

I know someone who gets £8 for 8oz and sells out with people knocking at the door for more. She never has that much perhaps a 100lbs this year but fair play she has the sales pitch to ask for the eight pounds. Thankfully she is only down the road from me and we may team up on a project or two, don't expect we will get sort of money but it will be interesting to see what comes from it.

£3.50, 4.50 with a chunk. Note chunk is not as generous as rat catchers, I use cut comb offcuts.
pity about the air bubbles in the corners of jar

I abandoned hexagonal jars for that very reason.
Can't be bothered fiddling around to get those bubbles out.

We have only just started to sell honey to the "outside" world. We charge currently:

8oz for £3 and 1lb for £5

We do struggle selling, living very remote with hardly any traffic passing by the gate. This week we will visit the local Farmers market for the first time and try our luck there. Should we charge slightly more at a Farmers market or advertise it as a Special Price and ask for our "door" price? If it's called special then at least people don't wonder if we would increase it at a later time.

I guess we are a bit worried to walk away without selling a single jar, because people think it's too expensive. We did think about charging £3.5 for a 8oz jar and £5.50 for 1lb jar otherwise. Its a rather small market inside a church.... what would you guys think we should do?

Ours is a small market and I sold plenty. The secret is to only do it occasionally and not every week. You have to sell at the market at the same price as you sell elsewhere. Otherwise they will cry that it is not fair! The only place where I allow a mark up is via a third party. I sell to them at my fixed door price and they add what they want..... And it still gets sold!
E

Hi Ratcatcher nice photos pity about the air bubbles in the corners of jar on right I have a thin spoon that I have bent the end like a hook and you can pull those bubbles out and they come to the top presentation much better just a thought

Do you have a piccy Please?

A bent piece of wire does the trick. Don't bother unless it is show honey.

I know someone who gets £8 for 8oz and sells out with people knocking at the door for more. She never has that much perhaps a 100lbs this year but fair play she has the sales pitch to ask for the eight pounds. Thankfully she is only down the road from me and we may team up on a project or two, don't expect we will get sort of money but it will be interesting to see what comes from it.

yes, a lady near me £7.5- for 8oz labeled RAW HONEY almost a queue at her door ,London prices have been high for a few years but the Hertfordshire prices used to be quite low@ £4.50 to £5 per lb, but noticed that has risen to £4.50 to £5 for a 12oz

We have only just started to sell honey to the "outside" world. We charge currently:

8oz for £3 and 1lb for £5
Its a rather small market inside a church.... what would you guys think we should do?

I'd go £3.50 AND £6, as you can always drop your price halfway through the day if needs be, but you can't put the price up if it's selling like hot cakes
hobby beekeepers honey should fetch a higher price

If you made it cheaper after I had bought it I would never buy from you again!

I'd go £3.50 AND £6, as you can always drop your price halfway through the day if needs be, but you can't put the price up if it's selling like hot cakes hobby beekeepers honey should fetch a higher price

I do appreciate your view, but dropping the price during the 3 hours it's open would not be an option I would think. It would upset anyone who had bought some already and it would give the impression that the product isn't that great, so we have to drop the price to sell it....

£2.25 FOR 8oz £3.50 for 12oz and£4.00 for pound jars.as I have said before there is ten people within a 10 mile radius of me selling cheaper than that

what would you guys think we should do?

Whatever else you do have tasters. Cajole people to try..no obligation to buy..though most will once they've tasted it.
Wear something casual but eye-catching.....a bright yellow t-shirt?
Dress your stall nicely; have props such as a skep and a smoker. I stuff some lavender in the end of an old copper smoker.
Make and sell some honey fudge....tasters of that too.

Latest posts

Back