Late swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
B*gger me sideways- been away for a couple of days, and have come back to find a good sized swarm has moved into a stack of broodboxes and boiled frames. All my colonies are in out apiaries, so this is a pleasant surprise. Transferred them on to a mix of drawn combs and foundation. Not had one this late before.

The down side to all of this of course, is that if this lot are in the mood to travel, so might some others- heads up boys and girls!

Bit of warmth after this cool spell....you won't be the only one!
E

I know people are saying it's getting late for a new queen to get mated successfully now, but the bees must know better. Saying that, within one week, my friends hives have got rid of all drones. They were kicking out last week, dragging them off on the floor. This weekend I was left to go through both BBs while he went to sort out the supers and didn't see a single one in either hive.

Thanks for that Leigh. My thoughts too, especially if you are feeding.

I noticed today one nuc kicking out drones but we must remember drone congregation areas will have drones from other hives and can travel miles to mate with a new queen

A fortnight ago there was no drone brood in one of my hives. There was plenty today, some sealed. Hmm.

Eggs in drone cells in one of mine.

Latest posts

Back