BBKA or BFA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Local DA of which we are members is also affiliated to the BBKA, the benefits of being members are, meeting and apiary visits if you wish to attend, being able to take your bees to the heather with a very small cost involved, and exhibiting in the New Forest Show where the DA run a section and the chance if you wish to sell some of your honey, plus lots more, and the benefits of being members of the BFA, the bulk purchase scheme, insurance, a face book group page, meetings, regular bulletins, the DASH scheme plus lots more, but more importantly for us is the ability to make contact with other Bee Farmers who make their living from their bees, as i said before you can use what you want from each.

Bulk purchase within the BFA, incase anyone is wondering, at the present time does not include frames, foundation and general hive parts. IE broods/supers.
I think the main reason is because there is so many different types used that storage would be too costly.
The bulk purchase does include jars, however you have to buy a minimum of one pallet, which consists of 35 boxes. (hope you have the space to store them)
Savings from the bulk purchase cannot be passed on outside of the BFA.

If you become an associate member, you have two years to get up to full member status. IE 40 stocks or more.

re: bulk purchase only available to bfa full members:
Thats true for the BFA, sorry if I was misleading.

So the table on this page is out of date? Regarding the associate membership it shows a 'Y' for bulk purchase although importantly for the OP a 'N' for the Insurance scheme.

re: bulk purchase only available to bfa full members:

So the table on this page is out of date? Regarding the associate membership it shows a 'Y' for bulk purchase although importantly for the OP a 'N' for the Insurance scheme.

Apologises, just checked it with BFA secretary, only non BFA branded items are available to associate members.

I think the bbka only insure up to 40 colonies.

Does anyone know for certain if there's a cut-off point with regards to the BBKA public liability insurance in respect to the number of colonies owned?

Does anyone know for certain if there's a cut-off point with regards to the BBKA public liability insurance in respect to the number of colonies owned?

Yes, I was looking at it the other day to see if you have to be BBKA member (you do!). http://www.-------------/members/insurance/bee_disease_insurance You have to insert BBKA etc, then log in to read the page.

For 26 colonies (including the basic three) and up to a maximum of 39 please consult your Association Treasurer, or the designated Association member who deals with BDI subscriptions.​

BUT
from BDI itself http://www.beediseasesinsurance.co.uk/becoming-a-member
40 hives or more?

For beekeepers owning 40 or more hives a different scheme, known as Scheme B, operates. This scheme is available to beekeepers that may or may not be members of a BDI member association. For further details contact the BDI Scheme B Manager.​

I don't know how non-BBKA members get insurance, our house insurers won't insure hives and bees.

Fairly certain it is 40 Rolande.

Yes, I was looking at it the other day to see if you have to be BBKA member (you do!). http://www.-------------/members/insurance/bee_disease_insurance You have to insert BBKA etc, then log in to read the page.

For 26 colonies (including the basic three) and up to a maximum of 39 please consult your Association Treasurer, or the designated Association member who deals with BDI subscriptions.​

BUT
from BDI itself http://www.beediseasesinsurance.co.uk/becoming-a-member
40 hives or more?

I think you're getting BDI (which pays out a small amount if your colonies are destroyed on the orders of the bee inspector) mixed up with BBKA public liability insurance (which is included in BBKA membership). I think the BBKA insurance FAQ says that it is intended for people who are not getting a significant income from beekeeping, and that "as a guideline" the cut-off point is 40 colonies, but I'm not sure of the exact wording.​

I think you're getting BDI (which pays out a small amount if your colonies are destroyed on the orders of the bee inspector) mixed up with BBKA public liability insurance (which is included in BBKA membership).

I don't think so, because I took the quote from the page about disease insurance which was what I'd looked up a few days before. There's a separate page on the BBKA site about public liability.

Ah, but I see what I did get wrong - the OP was about public liability. Oops! :)

Back