BBKA or BFA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I am thinking about joining one or the other, but not sure which.

I am sure both have advantages and disadvantages.

I am not really a club goer, and both offers insurance.

I guess this question is more aimed and beekeepers who have, or have had a good number of hives and have had a similar choice.

Pros, cons and thoughts please!

Cheers
Pete

I think the bbka only insure up to 40 colonies. Your profile suggests 50+

I have just joined the BFA as I have 40 at the moment and they are for the more commercial beekeeper.

Have a look at the contact details on their website and give them a ring for more details.

Last edited:
I think the bbka only insure up to 40 colonies. Your profile suggests 50+

It is not the colony insurance I would have. I have bees in 7 apiary's, so if I get a disease, I have a degree of separation between them to minimise the risk.

As it is still a hobby, if my bees got a disease, I would be gutted... but my mortgage does not depend on it and I would just make more bees.

The bad thing about the BFA, is I would need two sponsors that are members of the BFA.

For me, this is only a hobby so do not frequent in such circles..

It's not a hard thing to do and can be obtained within two years. I am quite sure once joined you might frequent a little more.

You don't actually need the two sponsors, you can join as an associate member for two years on a probationary basis. By that time if your "face fits" you should be able to find the two required sponsors.

Why not join both, i have and there are good and bad in both Associations just take from each what you want

Im a member of both.

The problem I found is that the BFA meetings and events tend to be arranged on week days so if you have a full time job as I have it makes it difficult to attend, it then gives the impression that you arnt interested in getting involved

Im a member of both.

The problem I found is that the BFA meetings and events tend to be arranged on week days so if you have a full time job as I have it makes it difficult to attend

Never found that to be a problem as one day is much the same as another.

I find it a big problem as I have to book my days off a year in advance

I wouldn't be able to take days off from work due to my job in school. you are not allowed time off unless its illness.

mind you I am seriously considering joining the bfa.

I don't bother with BDI as I feel its a waste of money as if you have more hives than you said at the beginning of the year they wont allow you to claim, also I have other people on one of my sites and not sure if they have BDI so would be void anyway if they wernt.

We are BFA members and i would say, it is for those that are looking more to turn their hobby into a business.
There is no disease insurance as such, but there is public liability, employee and product insurance available.
We self insure for disease.

why would you want to join the BBKA AND the BFA?

not criticising, just wondering...

I am not complaining as its my choice but I have been a member of my local BBKA group but because of work commitments I have never been to a meeting and have very little to do with them, other than paying my money.

We too have been considering that BFA would really be more appropriate for us as we do run the bees as a business and the number of hives is fast approaching the minimum required. The 2 sponsor requirement does seem to be a bit of a barrier but am sure with a little effort it could be overcome.
S

why would you want to join the BBKA AND the BFA?

not criticising, just wondering...

My local BKA is affiliated to BBKA, locally it keeps me in touch with the beekeepers, I get discounted products, help with some of the teaching and supply a few Nucs.

BFA as an associate member currently (less than 40 hives at start of year), been to some meetings and interesting disease day. Bulk purchase scheme. Good newsletter and local beefarming contacts.

My choice at the moment to belong to both, get my fees back in discounted products.

Latest posts

Back