Heather Flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather here has been in flower for the last couple of days so I will check this weekend but I'm not counting the chickens as weather has been very bad

lots of heather around 2 of my apiaries but they are going for the balsam instead,same every year,heathers closer to them but they dont bother.

Heather here has been in flower for the last couple of days so I will check this weekend but I'm not counting the chickens as weather has been very bad

Been in flower here since about the 20th of July, bees doing well on it, but should all be over in the next couple of weeks... never known them collect much from it during September, even though it can still be in full flower.

i set four of my strongest hives at the heather, around 300yards down the mountains from it mid july and still they have brought nothing in from it, its well in flower now, i have had heather honey in the same spot before so a little disappointed about this year, since flowering the weather hasn't been great, what sort of temperature does it need to produce at? it was a little dry early on in july but for the past month the ground has been well soaked,
they were making plenty of clear pale honey up until a few weeks ago.
Darren

i set four of my strongest hives at the heather, around 300yards down the mountains from it mid july and still they have brought nothing in from it, its well in flower now, i have had heather honey in the same spot before so a little disappointed about this year, since flowering the weather hasn't been great, what sort of temperature does it need to produce at? it was a little dry early on in july but for the past month the ground has been well soaked,
they were making plenty of clear pale honey up until a few weeks ago.
Darren
Wet July I was told

that is disappointing protheroe. Have you ever had anything from the heather?

yes,4 years ago, the bees at my home apiary gathered it but that was from 1 hive out of many.next year i think i will put some hives right in the middle of it and hopefully i will get some then.i do really like heather honey.

Anybody got an update on the heather situation?? Nothing doing here in Co. Down. Is it too late for a flow?? Read brother Adams book - he talks about his best heather flow ever happening from 25th - 28th August (see p. 53). Trying to stay optimistic. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Heath where my bees are looks really good, but all my hives are doing nothing.

Inspection on Saturday showed all supers empty, few brood frames back filled. Nothing to extract.

Im hoping mine dont starve. The search for heather honey goes on. I wonder how things are in Scotland where the big boys go....

as far as i am aware the heather is going well 100 mile down the road from me in the dublin mountains,
there is always next year.

Darren

as far as i am aware the heather is going well 100 mile down the road from me in the dublin mountains,
there is always next year.

Darren

Darren,

Is it possible that there is going to be a late flow if there is an improvement in the weather? or just wishful thinking?

I have Heather on my Croft so the bees only have to go about 20 feet and they are there.

During the dry spell yesterday the top field was eminating a gentle hum.

We have had over 10 inches of rain this week but hopefully will be able to get into the hives at the weekend and will report back then.

I have Heather on my Croft so the bees only have to go about 20 feet and they are there.

During the dry spell yesterday the top field was eminating a gentle hum.

We have had over 10 inches of rain this week but hopefully will be able to get into the hives at the weekend and will report back then.

Well at least that's positive…… Here's hoping!

Darren,

Is it possible that there is going to be a late flow if there is an improvement in the weather? or just wishful thinking?

i was talking to a beekeeper last night who lives on the mountain and has done for years and said to keep an eye on them in the next week,if its going to happen it will happen then.
what side of the mourns are your bees on?
Darren

Between hill town and Rostrevor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back