Heather Flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, Just to let those of you who are interested know that I observed lots of Bees on the heather today. All on the bell heather, not working the ling yet. During inspection there is starting to be some weight on the bottom supper so added a second. Today was 20deg at the heather site following two days of heavy rain. Ideal flow conditions! Bees were mad as hell though.

Good to hear John. Just left a hive up the Mournes on Saturday for the first time to see how it goes. How long do you leave them there for approx.?

I'm hoping to get the timing right for the ling heather this year, got not a drop last year haha!

HI Benagh,
I'm not sure, this is my first year going to the heather, I brought them up around the 15th of July. I plan to bring them back sometime around the first week in September weather dependent.

Ling here has yet to flower but not too far away by the looks of things.

Driving over from Maerdy to Aberdare this afternoon, Bell and Ling in flower with plenty more to come. Give it another two weeks for the Willowherb to finish, I wouldn't mind finding a nice, secure little site up there.

I'd love to take a colony somewhere for heather, but as a newcomer I haven't a clue where to look. Must try harder for next year.

Very busy on the ling now, drawing out whole supers of foundation and filling the new combs rapidly, ready drawn combs filling even faster of course.

Hi All, Just to let those of you who are interested know that I observed lots of Bees on the heather today. All on the bell heather, not working the ling yet. During inspection there is starting to be some weight on the bottom supper so added a second. Today was 20deg at the heather site following two days of heavy rain. Ideal flow conditions! Bees were mad as hell though.

Heather in poor condition on Dunwich Heath (Suffolk coast) due to drought - many of the bell and ling bushes are brown not purple. I took 2 hives 3 weeks ago. The stronger has filled one super, the weaker is struggling. No water in near vicinity.

Hi Folks,

I have 1 hive on the heather (first time). I put it up on Saturday past. Will be checking it over the weekend. I've heard there is no need for QX when bees on the heather. Is this correct or better just to play it safe and keep QX on? Thanks

My hives at home in the C0nwy Valley, north Wales are capping their first super of heather honey. The heather is at least 1½ miles from here. I expect the hives I've moved right up into the heather will be doing better still. It's my 33rd year moving bees to the heather in 37 years with bees. It's the most enjoyable part of the season for me.

Checked the 1 hive I put on the heather this morning just as a first attempt. Little or nothing in week and a half. V. disappointing - sorry i bothered. Weather no doubt to blame

Latest posts

Back