Thornes poly nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thornes poly nuc - anyone tried them? They're a few pounds cheaper than paynes, no internal feeder and are made by a reputable supplier - Stehr.

(did try a google search with no joy for threads here, one on the other place very quickly switched to discussing paynes.)

Thornes poly nuc - anyone tried them? They're a few pounds cheaper than paynes, no internal feeder and are made by a reputable supplier - Stehr.

(did try a google search with no joy for threads here, one on the other place very quickly switched to discussing paynes.)

I have seen the commercial poly Nuc in use, they have an internal wooden feeder, it is a langstroth dense poly nuc,increased in height by a poly eke and reduced in lenght by a wooden feeder that also acts as frame runner,the eke is of a less dense poly that the main Nuc The also do 14x12 with a diferent width feeder

the only problem so far is the usual one with frame feeders~drowning bees refilling it

Last edited:
Have just ordered a couple so will report back on how they compare to the Paynes poly nuc.

Search for polynuc and it should appear.

They appear to be available as the Stehr "Simplex" model at around 30 Euros from several suppliers in Germany/Belgium and probably elsewhere.

No idea how long Stehr have been making this size; importing them is a low risk way for Th0rnes to venture into the full frame poly market. I did notice that several of the "Everynuc" versions are out of stock. Are these adaptations by Th0rnes themselves to cover sizes (Smith, Commercial) not expected to sell enough to justify their own tooling?

I have 3 of these in use at the moment.
A few comments:

-OMF covers only a small part of the base
-the entrance is closed by moving a block of polystyrene, hopefully propolis will not restrict movement.
- the Paynes nuc is much easier to carry, the thornes one has straight sides.
- feeders are extra but seem to work very well

I haven't tried a thornes everynuc yet. I'd probably buy again and in preference to the Paynes version as the feeder is removable. It does take the cost up to ~£40 though.
-

There doesn't appear to be a 14x12 version of the Thorne polynuc, though £27.60 seems a good price for BS size. Compares with £31.50 for Paynes, however the Thorne one only holds 6 frames without the feeder.

Everynuc 5 - 14" x 12" for £52.50. A bit more than Paynes 14x12 which is £39.50.

I'm after a few 14x12 polynucs, leaning towards Paynes as I can't imagine the Everynuc being worth the 33% more over Paynes.

Latest posts

Back