Heather Flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This ^ is encouraging. Also the weather appears to have settled down a bit and looks promising for the next week or so.

When does heather typically yield? warm sunny conditions? near the opening phase or in full bloom?

I've started bee keeping this year with 2 hives in my back garden in june with new 2014 queens.

Hive one is single brood on a national, hive 2 a brood and a half ( won't be doing that again - double brood next time if needed) and I'm lucky to live 1000ft up a mountain here in North Wales with several hundreds of acres of both Bell and ling starting directly from our back door and goi as high and low as the eye can see, and it's all started going to full flower in the last 7ish days, and when i went to see them yesterday afternoon about 1pm, it was like someone had turned the turbo switch on. I had to remove the entrance fully on both hives as the restriction of the bigger opening they were on, was causing a huge bottle neck and the sky was black and the fronts of the hives fully covered with bees struggling to get back in with the amount leaving. When I went back at 6:30 they were still going in and out like they were mid summer.

The let up of activity hasn't slowed, even during the odd rain period they are still 20 bees wide in and out of the hive.

It is incredibly surprising how quick they are now drawing out and filling super frames on this heather and this flow has been nothing myself or my mentor of 30 years has ever seen.

The honey smell outside the hive - even 3 ft away is strong.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this year.

Nick.
Sounds wonderful.

I was thinking the same myself. Would like to hear what some more experienced beekeepers think? Here's hoping !!!

they were on heather until the weather turned.checked today and the are coming back covered in balsam pollen

Dam this balsam. You put them on top of acres of heather and they fly 2 miles to a ditch somewhere

It could be an award winning blend and not so difficult to extract, half cup full

Following up one my last post, we Checked on one of our Heather sites today, lots pollen and nectar going in to all hives, we took five and a half Brood boxes of capped Heather off, but had to leave lots more fresh uncapped, which will be taken next time, in case you were wondering we use brood boxes for everything, there was a lovely smell of Heather Honey when opening each hive, with the forecast set fair next week you never know. Chris

never opened the hives to look but its the first time this year they have a strong smell of heather coming from them, theres hope yet.
Darren

had a look at them today and the hive is full of heather honey and nectar, they are storing it in every space they could, have more supers added.
hopefully it continues for a while yet.
Darren

That's good news BLDarren - I now have high hopes for my 5 hives on heather near Blaenavon, South Wales. I hope to visit this weekend to assess - and now expecting a better result than for several years past.

how much average would you say? would i need to consider adding more supers even at this time? I only have 2 nationals on my strongest.

i should go up but its a long way and i haven't time a the moment!

i did hear its very unlikely for there to be a significant flow in september...?

I took 6 with 2 supers on them each and if they have filled them and filled the broodbox I will be more than happy{ hoping}

Latest posts

Back