Caddon hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put them together yesterday and very impressed no knots in the wrong places, wood smooth as a babies bum! ha! Looks a lovely colour now I have treated with the clear cuprinol (although I know this isn't absolutely necessary). Go for it!
Louise

These were nationals, very smooth wood and lovely quality. The roof had the wood at the top covered with the metal not like the other one which is just chipboard covered with the metal.

Hi RAB
Don't understand glued board construction, is that like plywood? These are solid wood pieces with the cut joints at the edge that fit perfectly. Have just treated them with the special clear cuprinol (I know this isn't necessary) but the wood looks great now.
I have a few plywood boxes to put together (terrible!!!!) can you recommend paint for these please?
Thanks
Best
Louise

Don't understand glued board construction, is that like plywood?

No. Two or more boards glued together to make a bigger board.

No paint recommendations. I shall not paint my timber supers/ekes/roofs. You will need to paint your ply boxes to stop delamination by UV.

RAB

Hi RAB
Don't understand glued board construction, is that like plywood? These are solid wood pieces with the cut joints at the edge that fit perfectly. Have just treated them with the special clear cuprinol (I know this isn't necessary) but the wood looks great now.
I have a few plywood boxes to put together (terrible!!!!) can you recommend paint for these please?
Thanks
Best
Louise

Hedgerow Pete did a post on painting hives I think it is in the sticky section Regards Andrew

Dont know what the persons :sifone: who reckons Caddon hives are crap?

Ive just assembeled a super and brood box from a complete hive that I ordered. I work a lot with cedar. The finish is planed, theres no knots anywhere. Its WR cedar. By far the best roof Ive ever seen, four vents and all made from cedar. Really good quality + very good value

Roof 6in
Crown board
2x supers
Bamboo and cedar queen excluder
Brood
Mesh Floor + solid slide

£130 delivered next day

I've used Caddon Hives a number of times now and have never had a problem with them. The quality of the hives has always been great and the service excellent.

'standard joinery practice'

"oh...I dont know how to do that"

"Philips screw?"

"What size screws/nails do I need?"

"where can I buy wood?"

"What is B&Q?"

I've used Caddon Hives a number of times now and have never had a problem with them. The quality of the hives has always been great and the service excellent.

ditto and ditto

had a complimentary cover board sent becuase of a slight dink in the roof metal, (which I hadn't noticed when I unpacked the order). One side wall split along the "notch" for the bottom rail, and it was replaced immediately without any fuss and sincere apologies. Very pleasant people to deal with - really felt as if they did care what the customer thought and what service they received.

My only comments would be that the tenons (if that's the right word) are a bit mean. And the floors too deep, but no one seems to make floors with upstands of 8-9 mm...

If you only want 8-9 mm clearance, why not make your own floors? I find most floors offered are a bit on the flimsy side.

Good idea, Swarm, I'd love to, thought of it many times but,

a) I bought complete hives, incl floors,
b) I thought of reducing the height of them all round, but Paddington bear's table came to mind, and
c) I'd love to make my own, but my woodworking skills are very rudimentary, my "workshop" even more so, and it would probably cost more in plasters, bandages and vodka than the worth of it.....

I could give my local timber plus merchant a cutting list so that everything is cut square and dead to length. I love messing around with bits of wood, but that's what it is, and nothing really resembles what it should - the wavy saw lines are quite attractive though.....

Value for money - cannot beat Hivemaker Hive's, excellent quality and great value - tried the rest - he's the best

Seconded. Bought my first hives from him and they are solid and perfect after several years; they'll see me out. Have now bought one poly hive to try out to see if they make lifting easier, will make decision which way to go in a year, but all my instincts prefer Hivemaker's cedar boxes.

Agree with the love for Caddon hives in this thread, just built my 5th one and went together really nicely. Good quality, nice deep roofs and excellent folk to deal with, missing part from my order was sent out for my asap, problems happen but it's how you resolve them that matters.

Demig

Never used Caddon before but after doing a quick search found the price of their 6 inch assembled roofs to be cheaper than Mr T's unassembled.
Bought a few items. Ordered late Monday and delivered on Friday.

For the price, quality hasn't been compromised either. Every component, even the battens, are made with Western red cedar and superbly finished off. Will definitely be buying from them again.

I've bought a few hives from Caddon Hives, the build, service and cost were second to none. Certainly won't be going anywhere else. Can't recommend them enough.

Dont know what the persons :sifone: who reckons Caddon hives are crap?

Ive just assembeled a super and brood box from a complete hive that I ordered. I work a lot with cedar. The finish is planed, theres no knots anywhere. Its WR cedar. By far the best roof Ive ever seen, four vents and all made from cedar. Really good quality + very good value

Roof 6in
Crown board
2x supers
Bamboo and cedar queen excluder
Brood
Mesh Floor + solid slide

£130 delivered next day

yep, there are 3 caddon hives in our apiary and they are far superior to the 6 thornes seconds but ditch the bamboo excluder straight away. it only excludes finding your queen in the correct box...

I'm thinking of getting a few more hives.

A lot can change in a few years.

Anyone purchased from Caddon recently and what do you think of the quality?

Just the same.

Good/very good except the bamboo QE. Avoid it.

J saw a cedar WBC recently looked good. Much better than a painted WBC.

I’d give neither house room personally. All that wasted costly wood and a gabled roof. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back