Caddon hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I have just received my order for three national brood boxes and a national roof from the above and I am completely blown away by the excellent quality.:drool5: So if you are looking for any hive parts I would recommend them as their prices are hard to beat and the delivery was very quick.
Louise:nature-smiley-013:

Thanks Louise.
I'm considering these too.

Are there any knots?

I've also used Caddon - good quality wood and excellent value.

They don't look quite as good as the hives made by others on this forum, but you pays your money....

I had a hive and the quality was shocking.... second's bit of wood knots and holes everywhere, so bad i had to get my money back and buy a decent hive from Tom Bick ... buy cheap pay later !!!!

I've had a National and a WBC from Caddon this winter. Both good quality and good value. Good personal service too.

Not bought any from caddon yet but took a look at their website...I always look when new ones to me are mentioned.
I have WBC hives...theirs seemed to be very knotty in the pictures and a little bit rough and ready compared to other bigger suppliers I have used.
Just an observation really but I would hope that their pics show what you could buy.

I had a hive and the quality was shocking.... second's bit of wood knots and holes everywhere, so bad i had to get my money back and buy a decent hive from Tom Bick ... buy cheap pay later !!!!

And also a hive from hivermaker Both will last a lifetime and they have this really good feature called bee space.. its grate :D

a while ago i purchased a cedar hive from britishbeehives and was extremely happy with the purchase and quality. also bought some frames, well worth a look.

IMG_2539.jpg

Nothing to speak of. My previous purchases was of Thornes seconds and I was not impressed with them - notes in awkward places and also some mistakes that took a bit of tinkering and ingenious woodwork to solve!

Nothing to speak of. My previous purchases was of Th**nes seconds and I was not impressed with them - notes in awkward places and also some mistakes that took a bit of tinkering and ingenious woodwork to solve!

Let me get this right, you buy seconds at cheap prices to save money and then your not happy because the product has knots and slight errors, they are seconds so thats why you got them cheap!!!

lmao

Th*rne sale seconds? All I have bought after my initial year. Buying 5, I found I got 4 near perfect and perhaps one scruffy box, with a bit of selection. Knots to be hidden by end bars, or selected to shed water, rather than running in (in the future). One or two slightly bowed end bars, mostly 'pullable' with screw fixings to get them straight. Never needed anything other than 'standard joinery practice' to achieve a good home for the bees.

But not bought any for the last 4 or five years so they may not be as good quality as they used to be (finding this with the seconds frame top bars).

RAB

Th*rne sale seconds? All I have bought after my initial year. Buying 5, I found I got 4 near perfect and perhaps one scruffy box, with a bit of selection. Knots to be hidden by end bars, or selected to shed water, rather than running in (in the future). One or two slightly bowed end bars, mostly 'pullable' with screw fixings to get them straight. Never needed anything other than 'standard joinery practice' to achieve a good home for the bees.

But not bought any for the last 4 or five years so they may not be as good quality as they used to be (finding this with the seconds frame top bars).

RAB

agree, buy 5 get 4 good ones from the bits and an one to sell on Fleabay :sifone:

frames, changed suppliers this year to M**semore seconds and found no better than £hornes seconds

op.jpg

1 point for pink fur apple the rest are kestrel, maris piper and salad blue

You are obviously a man of taste! (I'll stick with that as long as your other half takes the blame for the china dolls).

Just put the Caddon brood boxes together, great and quick, lovely smooth wood and excellent value. Tried a plywood broodbox from fragile planet - terrible to put together, terrible design spent ages trying to ensure it function correctly, so won't be buying from them again.

The Thornes seconds were more expensive than the caddon I have just bought and the Caddon is much better quality and easy assembly. They even assembled the roof for me to pack the brood boxes into it. The roof is deeper than the Thornes ones too. So no argument for me, I will go back to Caddons next time.
Louise

There may be the difference. I may only need to buy deep broods and maybe a super or two. Actually I doubt I will buy many more. Ten roofs, supers and 14 x12 ekes sitting, as planks, in the garage at the moment. If the MB poly hives are as good as expected, and competitive, there will be little to beat them for my application.

The Thorne brood box sides are all still one piece, I believe. Nothing against joined timber, but I did note the Caddon ones were glued-board construction.

To be honest, there is not a great deal to do in the assembly of a wooden topless and bottomless box. Now, if not cut correctly (FP ones?), they would go back at FP's cost.

Glad you like your newly found supplier and I hope they keep up the high standard.

Regards, RAB

I have started chitting my Orla, Lady Christl and Kestrel. Will probably do my Lady Balfour, Sante, Cara and Rooster next weekend. They can always make a start themselves, mind, as they're in a box in the conservatory...

Latest posts

Back