Swarms 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two calls today my first of the season. The first was a large prim swarm 20 ft up an apple tree. These were collected and passed on. The second call came from the local council informing me there was a swarm on the ground in the parking area to some flats. On my arrival I was met by some simpleton shouting at me to be carefull as there were still some wasps about. The simpleton had just thrown a bucket of boiling water on to them. Another large prim swarm which were destroyed by the simpleton.

Collected a very large swarm yesterday in the village. The original nest is in a chimney of an old cottage. Been there for at least 5 years.
When caller said the size of a large football I thought he was exaggerating. He wasn't!!!

Meanwhile here in East mid Wales...bees are bursting out of Commercials with only one super and first charged cups appearing. Four apiaries on 3 or 4 supers and will be taking Demaree and queen breeding kit out from tomorrow. This. Won't. Last.

well, i have not posted recently as totally shattered, every hive, bar one, i have opened in the last three days had 10+ queen cells, i have every spare made up brood box out and now it's down to the stragic reserve flat packs,stored somehere at the back of the garage with that foundation you were going to throw away becasue it had gone brittle and grey but thankfully never go around to

I went to inspect one of my Hives today only to observe it swarm within minutes of my arrival.
The swarm disapeared within minutes, flying over the Trees out of sight
:(

First swarm today. Friends hive with bees deciding to hold up in an apple tree right in the corner of a branch so instead of being able to shake them off had to remove them handful at a time. Managed to get them into their nice new home just before the rain started.

Then moved onto her hive and removed 4 queen cells, left 2. Very lucky as I kept the ones we removed and one hatched on the drive home.

Helped a new beekeeper (2 months experience) when her colony swarmed. No equipment spare so I lent her a hive. Nice prime colony, and walked them in . Good fun seeing the delight on her face. Bees behaved well. Removed all surplus queen cells, leaving one good ripe one. Hopefully sorted!

£ swarms yesterday. One a feral nest in a tree felled by Sunday thunderstorm. One prime swarm in the garden of a fellow beek. Finally in the gloom last evening one on a housing estate block of flats. The residents were in panic, most were non-British and the swarm was hanging under the porch covering at the entrance door. There were children hanging out of windows, I assume they were offering advice!!! taking photos. My wife says I am probably a U tube star and don't know it!!!!

Had 1st call yesterday can't say 100% they were honey bees although the caller had caught one in a plastic container and compared it with photos on my website and was sure they were.
He said it arrived 3-4 days ago and is in his roof.
As I couldn't attend yesterday (too busy with my own bees) and am away on business for the week I referred him to another swarm contact.
Interesting was his order of questions
1.Are you the man that catches bees?
2.Do you charge?

Bees are Back, Baby! "Feral colony"... "in a chimney 5 years"... Why shouldn't they have cycles, like any insect? What an encouraging thread! Just please send the next one my way...

I collected a swarm from a tree this morning. Seemed to be a decent size. Apparently they swarmed on Monday afternoon.

first one arrived today. about a mile away from where I keep some bees. thought at first could be one of mine. but saw the queen and she isn't marked. all of mine are. nice swarm on about 6 frames

Collected my third swarm today. Hanging from a grape vine over a pond. Was easy enough though - straight into the hive and then put it on the floor near the pond until this evening when all foraging/scouting bees have returned. Then spent 10 mins saving the ones that flew into the pond. Unfortunately no time for pictures as it had just started raining quite heavily.

Its my third of the year. Got no more hardware now though so might amalgamate with my weaker colony once I've verified them as disease free.

Apparently they arrived last night, so they spent a night out in the open :(

Seemed settled into their new home now though.

Collected a small swarm today - the first really rainy day for weeks, so,very unexpected. One of mine swarmed on Easter Monday, a friend of mine nearby has dealt with five swarms, so, a lot in the West Suffolk area it seems.

Collected swarm 2/5/14

Moving North ?

Latest posts

Back