Luggage scales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Picked up a nice little hand held luggage scales today at Lidl. Will be useful in the Autumn.

You are lucky they still had stock - they were from a few weeks ago!

Currently, they have ratchet straps and may still have stock of ratchet pruning secateurs - a very powerful one-handed tool to wield when up a ladder collecting a swarm from a tree. Aldi will be having similar ratchet secateurs soon, but charge slightly more than Lidl ...

The luggage scale. Don't wait until Autumn. You can use it to track the weight gain as nectar is brought in.
And you want to build up an idea of what your hive hardware weighs, so that you can work out the amount of stores from the total weight.

Add a hook of some sort to the middle of the left and right sides of your hive floors, allows you to weigh one side at a time (just add them together) which is much easier than trying to lift the lot from a strap.

You are lucky they still had stock - they were from a few weeks ago!
Add a hook of some sort to the middle of the left and right sides of your hive floors, allows you to weigh one side at a time (just add them together) which is much easier than trying to lift the lot from a strap.

:iagree: Repeated weighing my hives today: 2 strongest have put on 8 kg each over 2 weeks (OSR 800m distant). Weakest, hardly any gain.
You don't actually need a hook - insert a stout screw into both sides of the hive floor and deploy the hook of the scales.

Thanks for that. I will be doing a first full inspection on Saturday afternoon so I'll record some weights at the same time.

Latest posts

Back