My Manley bottom is squashing my foundation...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
As it says above. Put some foundation into a Manley as normal and put on a one piece bottom but the wax doesn't fit.

Should I be using non-wired foundation so I can trim it, or am I doing something wrong?

Answers on a postcard as usual and my thanks in advance for both your pearls of wisdom and raspberries of derision.

HHHHmmm does one dare comment on your bottom problems?

Never used one but it sounds as though it is designed for two bottom rails. Probably wrong though! Can you get bottom rails instead of one piece bottoms!
E

One-piece bottom bars are designed for use with wired frames, and the sort of games usually only played by Langstroth users at comb replacement time.

"Normal" Manley bottom bars are two-piece, though I'm sure you could get one-piece if you ordered them specially ...
Have a look in Thorne's catalogue (for much more detail than the website).

One-piece bottom bars are designed for use with wired frames

:iagree:

Using wired foundation will normally require a two piece bottom bar. The wire loops at the bottom of the foundation fit between the gap of the two bottom bars.

I actually use Manleys (with 2-piece bottom bar) for cut comb … so therefore with unwired foundation.
No problem.

Never used one but it sounds as though it is designed for two bottom rails. Probably wrong though! Can you get bottom rails instead of one piece bottoms!
E

I have bottom rails, Enrico, but I invested i these as I was advised they are god and offer more support to the wider comb in a Manley.

as per above - 2 piece = wired foundation; 1 piece = wired frame.

Thanks, Doc. So, one piece only for wired frames rather than foundation.

Maybe I'll just use them with some trimmed wireless foundation.

Thanks, all.

Me too. I don't nail them to make it easy to take them out.

The bottom rails I have from T won't stay in the Manleys without being nailed.

Unlike the DN4 or SN4, the notch seems a little wider and they slide about or drop out.

I have bottom rails, Enrico, but I invested i these as I was advised they are god and offer more support to the wider comb in a Manley.

Why would the comb in a Manley (10 to a National box) be wider than when using say SN1s on castellations at 9 to a National box?

Very strange advice!

One-piece bottom bars are designed for use with wired frames, and the sort of games usually only played by Langstroth users at comb replacement time.

"Normal" Manley bottom bars are two-piece, though I'm sure you could get one-piece if you ordered them specially ...
Have a look in Thorne's catalogue (for much more detail than the website).

Hang on, are the 'normal' Manley bottoms the wider one piece ones? I'm sure I have some of them.

Why would the comb in a Manley (10 to a National box) be wider than when using say SN1s on castellations at 9 to a National box?

Very strange advice!

You're right. That's the trouble when you listen to experienced keepers, as sometimes they are wrong, too.

Latest posts

Back