What is happening at your bait hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Thought i'd start this thread so we can keep up with how each other's bait hives are doing, how much interest is being shown and any successes! How are you all getting on?

Nothing at my bait hive yet, but it's early days. The same hive attracted three nice swarms last year. So I have it in the same place and hopefully last year wasn't a fluke

Just today interest from one increasing to approx six bees so on the right track but still to early to be confident ( been there to many times) and will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

No action yet but it has been cooler for the last couple of weeks.
Today was nicer but haven't been home yet.

Nothing at all at my three, which is a bit of a relief considering my swarm cells/Bailey Comb change dilemma a week or so ago - looks like I got away with it - phew!

Last edited:
Nothing at the moment at the two I have out. First couple of nice sunny days we have had this year so far. Warming up nicely. I think it might be a little to early here though in the northwest. I shall see. Good Luck

I 3 brood box bait hives at my mum's in Essex, one on top of a conifer hedge, another on top of a flat roof and another on top of a shed. She rang today to say all 3 had bees coming and going checking them out which is a positive sign, going to have a look on Friday. The one on the window sill here at home has continued to have a bit of interest, 3/4 bees today but nothing special.

Nothing yet.
No mature drones around here yet.
Things may be very different in a month .

For me just an old frame and a couple of drops of lemongrass oil onto a piece of foundation rolled up and slipped in through the entrance. Another ideal thing is an old used brood box.

Drones flying in and out of mine......must get a couple of bait hives out.

Although I calculate that my hives are about 2 months ahead of last year, I havent yet seen any drones, not even in the obs hive...

All 3 bait hives have had a lot of attention this afternoon. One had at least 20 visitors at one time, inspecting in and around that bait hive in late afternoon.
This got me worried, but checking all my hives only found play cells and no queen cells. All brood boxes are full of bees but there is plenty of room in supers.
I can only assume someone nearby could be about to loose a swarm. (Hope it is not me!).

Nothing here yet but i don't think there will be much in the way of swarming for at least a couple more weeks, start of May perhaps.

The first one had some interest yesterday and had to be closed last week following interest from a queen wasp. The 2nd photo is from last year and produced a lovely colony.

Nice Roola better than tv hope it progresses and you witness a swarm arrive.

Latest posts

Back