Why put supers on top?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if I were to eat a grub, I'd have to swallow it whole. Not too sure I'd be keen on the gooey center.

Hi Ely
Do you bite chocolate cream eggs or swallow them whole.

Erichalfbee,

It was always a joke played on the younger ones that would not realise that about 2 seconds after being cast into the water, the maggot would be getting pretty cold again!!

No No No .... after we'd broken the ice on the canal to make a hole big enough to get a line down you needed a really wriggly maggot to get a bite and hooke something in the 5 minutes before the hole froze back over !!!

I took a 2lb perch on mouth warmed maggot in Torksey canal on 15th March 1966 ... it was just above freezing .... there's a photo somewhere in my mum's loft !! We went over to Lincolnshire because it was warmer than Yorkshire ....

Last edited:
My granddad used to do the same. After getting a decent grasp of science you can see how pointless it was. How long do you think the small body of a maggot can retain heat once submersed in extremely cold water? Perhaps he just liked the salty taste

Erichalfbee,

It was always a joke played on the younger ones that would not realise that about 2 seconds after being cast into the water, the maggot would be getting pretty cold again!!

and I bet you told them to use sky hooks..

Sent newbies to the stores for some molecular weights, and a few others as well.

Metric and imperial adjustable spanners come to mind also.

Sent newbies to the stores for some molecular weights, and a few others as well.

Metric and imperial adjustable spanners come to mind also.

Electric oil?
Plumbers Black on the loo seat?

Oops sky hooks popular too!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buckets of steam

C'mon, leave it out! The very useful book by the 'Refrigerated Steam Co.' was a veritable bible for plant measurements, as I recall. I wish I could find a copy of that book.

Can't remember the actual book title and can't find any mention of the RSC on the web. Anyone help? And I am serious here, the book was likely quite old, even by the late 1960s when I first came across it! Might have been printed when VM was young.:)

RAB

i suppose the obvious reason for having the supers on top is so that you can remove the harvest or perform other manipulations without having to lift 1-2 brood boxes every time.

i suppose the obvious reason for having the supers on top is so that you can remove the harvest or perform other manipulations without having to lift 1-2 brood boxes every time.

whatever.. whyever...if you are moving frames or boxes..taking all the honey for petrol.... and feeding syrup....

......we are manipulating....

One of these recipes might be good for running the car..
http://homedistiller.org/sugar/wash-sugar/honey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ely View Post
I think if I were to eat a grub, I'd have to swallow it whole. Not too sure I'd be keen on the gooey center.
Hi Ely
Do you bite chocolate cream eggs or swallow them whole.

I batter them and eat them with ketchup

Cream eggs? Serious answer - roll them in flour and dip in batter and fry. Other answer - I don't ask questions, I just pay someone to do it

Erichalfbee,

The other 'fisherma's tip' was to pee on your hands to stop them getting frostbite.

The other 'fisherma's tip' was to pee on your hands to stop them getting frostbite.

I remember going to Lowestoft to see the Herring fleet, but never had a fisherman ask if he could pee on my hands..........

Keeping a few maggots in ones cheek hamster style keeps them lively in cold weather !
VM

Back