Lizards in hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Lately I've been getting lots of lizards (common I think) around my hives. They are tiny and don't cause any problems but they do get in the hives and the bees make short work of them. I've found 3 dried out little bodies so far :(

They are obviously being attracted to the heat but is there any way I can discourage them for their own safety?

I wonder if lizards eat varroa mites?
(Sorry, aberreef, doesn't help with your question).

Put a sign up 'lizards beware, enter at your own peril'
In welsh as well of course!
E

Would mouseguards not stop them ?

I wonder if lizards eat varroa mites?
(Sorry, aberreef, doesn't help with your question).

They could be the organic answer we've all been looking for. I found it first so I'm watching you lot:spy: I'm gonna be rich :D now to train the bees not to sting them to death when they get in the hives and we're away:icon_204-2:

Put a sign up 'lizards beware, enter at your own peril'
In welsh as well of course!
E

:icon_204-2: I wouldn't know what it said myself but the hives are up the top of a mountain so pretty isolated and probably untainted by the English tongue;)

Would mouseguards not stop them ?

Sadly no, the lizards are about the diameter of a bee, maybe smaller :(

Are you sure they're lizards and not newts? what's the humidity like inside the hive? just in case, you need a nice breeze flowing through the hive, drill a big hole in the crown board and insert nice big vent grilles in the roof!

Are you sure they're lizards and not newts? what's the humidity like inside the hive? just in case, you need a nice breeze flowing through the hive, drill a big hole in the crown board and insert nice big vent grilles in the roof!

How about a few match sticks in the corners:icon_204-2: 100% lizards and very cute they are too. Some are up on top of the crown board safe and warm but the odd few have made their way inside the hive

Perhaps they are Flying Lizzards? They just want honey, that's what they want.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25_jgiY51I"]Flying Lizzards - Money thats what I want 1979 - YouTube[/ame]

If you look carefully you'll see a forum member playing drums!

Your trying to wind someone up arnt you?:icon_204-2:

Are you sure they are dead. I found one when putting up a shed in a corner of the garden in the spring. I thought it was dead for sure but thought I would put in in a container in the sun. Within half an hour it was running about. Amazing!!
(Yes I know they are cold blooded which explains why this happened)

I have masses of common wall lizards living under and around my hives, some pop in and out, possibly lots do - I'm not watching them all day!

Anyway, never seen the bees bother them, in fact they ignore them completely and never found a dead 'un.

Chris

Latest posts

Back