Big M Autumn Equipment Sale Cancelled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITMA,

When using the clear correx twin wall do you cut a hole in them for feeding fondant in the winter or do you just swap to other cover boards when feeding time comes around?

ITMA,

When using the clear correx twin wall do you cut a hole in them for feeding fondant in the winter or do you just swap to other cover boards when feeding time comes around?

Answer likely to be longer than the question, sorry but there are a few points.

For the clear twinwall, no holes. At all. And seal the ends of the 'tubes' with greenhouse aluminium tape.

I have no-hole boards for general usage and plywood boards with holes which get used for syrup feeding and (plus rhombus) for clearing, etc. They have a tallish eke attached on one side (giving rhombus headroom), so, hole covered (or no-hole board on top) and eke down they also work for Apiguard. The eke is (just) tall enough to take an 'English' feeder (so no empty super needed).

However, you asked about fondant. I don't feed fondant above a hole! If they need it midwinter, the cluster needs to contact the food - so the place for fondant is on the topbars, crossing as many as possible to give maximum easy access. So I either give thin (10mm?) sheets of fondant under the (clear no-hole) coverboard, or if big chunks are going to be needed (only had that once on one hive) I give them a smallish eke under the clear coverboard.
The clear coverboard allows you to see what is happening (and whether more fondant is needed) without opening up. Condensation is easily visible on a clear coverboard - and if you see it , it is an indication that your top insulation is inadequate!

They've quite a few items (2nds?) on eBay at the moment.

Thanks ITMA,

Looks like B&Q will be getting a visit soon ;) Some of my hives are the Paynes poly so probably have to extend the clear twin wall all the way out to the sides to avoid any rain ingress with the less than perfect shallow depth poly roof :(

As I have bottom bee space if I want to feed fondant on the top bars then maybe a thin eke is the answer under the twin wall.

Food for thought if you pardon the pun :)

Last edited:
… Some of my hives are the Paynes poly so probably have to extend the clear twin wall all the way out to the sides to avoid any rain ingress with the less than perfect shallow depth poly roof :(

As I have bottom bee space if I want to feed fondant on the top bars then maybe a thin eke is the answer under the twin wall.

I have Paynes polys. I use 460mm sq boards, to fit with the 'interface part of the side wall (it doesn't touch all the way out to the edge.)
But I have got the new-version roofs - much better. Enough wrap-over for rimmed coverboards, giving beespace beneath. The thin old ones have been relegated to topping stacks of supers!

I've tended to give fondant (only if I'm concerned) in big but thin sheets - covering as many topbars as possible. And the rim/beespace is enough thickness.
With a see-through coverboard, you can see when/if they have eaten enough for a refill to be needed.

I see that Big M ,the supplier established in 1953, manufacturers and suppliers of Bee Keeping equipment in the UK. Located in Gloucestershire GL2, have a notice on their homepage that:

"DUE TO AN EXTREMELEY BUSY YEAR WE WILL NOT BE HAVING OUR END OF SEASON SALE THIS YEAR"

So that's got me searching around for cheap crown boards because i wanted to order 15 crown boards in their sale, any leads appreciated

Hi Muswell. Go to your local timber merchant and get them to cut a sheet of ply into 46X46 squares. Ask them to cut the offcuts into 20mm strips. then glue the strips around the edge of the boards and pin.
I get a minimum of 10 crown boards from one sheet and it costs me about £15.00

Try Richfield in Yorkshire, good prices for crown boards & snelgrove boards

Latest posts

Back