Big M Autumn Equipment Sale Cancelled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I see that Big M ,the supplier established in 1953, manufacturers and suppliers of Bee Keeping equipment in the UK. Located in Gloucestershire GL2, have a notice on their homepage that:

"DUE TO AN EXTREMELEY BUSY YEAR WE WILL NOT BE HAVING OUR END OF SEASON SALE THIS YEAR"

So that's got me searching around for cheap crown boards because i wanted to order 15 crown boards in their sale, any leads appreciated

Last edited:
Have they had big EU orders for Eritrea to fill too?

I see that Big M ,the supplier established in 1953, manufacturers and suppliers of Bee Keeping equipment in the UK. Located in Gloucestershire GL2, have a notice on their homepage that:

"DUE TO AN EXTREMELEY BUSY YEAR WE WILL NOT BE HAVING OUR END OF SEASON SALE THIS YEAR"

So that's got me searching around for cheap crown boards because i wanted to order 15 crown boards in their sale, any leads appreciated

Big T have announced sale prices for collection which normally continue into their winter sales. Crown boards are £7
S

Have they had big EU orders for Eritrea to fill too?

i expect it is due to all those beekeeper who have only two supers per hive having started beekeeping in the last few years then finding they didnt have enough equipment for this summers excellent flow, and had to buy supers at £30 a time, they currently don't seem to have flat packs available either

The flow had me cleaning ,flaming and repairing supers i had almost taken to the tip

They are listed as being at the National Honey Show next month.............although it says against all the traders TBC

We're talking about Maisemores, I take it? I am going to need some stuff this winter for my new colonies. I have been using their winter-sale cedar boxes at £17.50 flat IIRC. Is this likely not to repeat?

Make from B&Q 3.5mm ply. Can't find online but one size gets you 3 of 455x460 'squares' (close enough) per sheet. And they cut it free.

A rim from B&Q "10.5x18.5mm" stripwood gets you a 10mm beespace that my bees are perfectly well behaved with. You get 1 and a quarter rims for a £3 length - but have to cut it yourself. Got access to a chopsaw?
Single side rim seems fine. But if you want to attach an Apiguard eke to the other side, your board will be even better.

Assembly is trivial with woodglue and a staplegun. Got an Association meeting coming up? No shortage of 'trainees' … :)

And 10% off on Wednesdays puts the material cost under £5 per board.
And there aren't any awkward Porter holes that need blocking up …

/// ADDED - I've used their 4mm thick clear polycarbonate 'correx' ("twinwall") sheet to similarly make some cheap see-through coverboards. They won't cut it to size for you though! Greenhouse aluminium tape adequately seals the open ends of the correx against earwigs, etc …

Last edited:
3.5mm? Doesn't that sag? I use 6mm and cut strips for beespace. Keeps the cost right down.

I think its about the same thickness as the bought boards. Seems to work OK - I made a few Rhombus clearer boards this way (with deep 'Apiguard' rim on the other side - also just deep enough as an 'English feeder' eke (should I need to!)

I wonder if B&Q would cut the offcuts into lots and lots of 442x18mm strips for laminating/stacking to build a rim … :hat:

3.5mm? Doesn't that sag? I use 6mm and cut strips for beespace. Keeps the cost right down.
That's an idea. I'm not sure so many exposed edges are going to last as long as strip wood but it's cheap. Wickes have a 6mm board (8x4) at under 17 quid. They don't cut, but not sure B&Q would if you asked for 18mm strips. The builders standard sizes of ply don't cut into National sizes without waste. If you used the offcuts as strips, 2440*1220 would make 10 one side beespace cover boards.

I think its about the same thickness as the bought boards. Seems to work OK - I made a few Rhombus clearer boards this way (with deep 'Apiguard' rim on the other side - also just deep enough as an 'English feeder' eke (should I need to!)

I wonder if B&Q would cut the offcuts into lots and lots of 442x18mm strips for laminating/stacking to build a rim … :hat:

First few cuts are free after that there's a charge ..

For crownboards I do the same. I buy 8ft x 4ft X 5.5mm plyboard WBP sheets from the local builders merchant, about £6. I cut 46cm squares from this which gives me 10 crownboard blanks :)

I also and buy the same B&Q 18mm edging but in 2.2m lengths which makes it cheaper. If I need to, I drill a large central feed hole. Each crownboard costs about £6.50... bargain

I do similar to JohnyP, but use 8 or 9mm ply, as that is far more robust. I don't need any strips:) - one of the advantages of top bee space.:) Cheep, cheerful and work. The edging strips, if needed, could be cut from the 270mm strip left over (I have uses for it elsewhere, so I don't worry too much about it).

Can't remember the price of a sheet, but guessing around sixteen quid (I have a Jewson account). Better quality than the retail merchants who sell those what I call 'the off-cut sizes' of ply. Simple beekeeping at a far more reasonable cost.

Mine cost me around, or less than, £1.60 a throw. An even better bargain! My last 12mm ply sheets cost me £17a throw

RAB

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice but obviously the forum doesn't know how bad my woodworking skills are LOL

Just that time, at present is limited,so i was looking for a quick fix

Thanks for the advice but obviously the forum doesn't know how bad my woodworking skills are LOL

Really, the B&Q route doesn't involve woodworking skills.
They will cut the board, just leaving you the cutting of stripwood into 60 of 442mm lengths … (assuming purchase of 18x10mm strip for 15 coverboards).
The repeat cutting of a standard length can be done very simply (and very quickly) with the appropriate tool - hence asking around for the use (or service) would be worthwhile.
The actual assembly is easier than making up frames (you CAN use glue!)
Any nearby bee mates that do "do a bit of woodwork"?

DIY could be a very 'quick fix' indeed.

Take one as a pattern to a carpentry machine shop and ask for a price.....you never know

Can you get hold of some correx from, say, an Estate Agent? They give away boards that have been specially printed for a sale or if they get a bit bent, etc. The correx makes good crown boards, and can be cut with a knife.

Best put some fuel in the tank and drive to Rand on the 18th, might find some other cut price items in addition to the bacon butty's at a very reasonable price & free T / coffee - thank you very much Mr&Mrs T.

Can you get hold of some correx from, say, an Estate Agent? They give away boards that have been specially printed for a sale or if they get a bit bent, etc. The correx makes good crown boards, and can be cut with a knife.

I agree with you! :)

BUT
1 - clear 'correx' (twinwall polycarbonate) is even better (and costs under £4/board even at B&Q price - worthwhile IMHO.)

2 - getting wooden boards cut to size quickly and cheaply isn't the problem (B&Q do it free, immediately) - its getting the Qty 60 rim sections cut to length and attached to the board that seems to be the problem. I appreciate that with your top beespace Langstroths, it isn't a problem for you - but I'm pretty sure that MM is NOT wanting simple flat boards for Langstroths.

Back