chances of a super being drawn or filed at this time of year ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.. Crap , on my other 3 hives put resting on QE

Can't see though how as works off vapours emanating could make a big difference?

Though maybe am missing something ?

Thanks

Brian

Can't see though how as works off vapours emanating could make a big difference?

Thanks

Brian

Sorry to hear about your mother Brian...

However, I thought that MAQS works partly because the bees walk about on it and try and drag it out of the hive ... thus spreading the stuff all around the place and the odour with it.

If you look at the instruction leaflet, you will see the drawing clearly shows that the MAQS strips go directly on top of the frames, and below the queen excluder.

Dusty - the rectangular hive in the drawings is a Langstroth. Hey, this is North America, is there a different hive?
Langstroths are top beespace. So there is no guarantee of any space for the strip above the QX.

So, for top beespace, it kinda makes sense to tell people to put the strips where the space is.
But for a National, with bottom beespace, I think the instructions' illustrations show something that can be a physical impossibility with some QXs … :)

And in such circumstances, I freely admit that I do tend to try and think, rather than just try to follow instructions that were conceived with a different situation in mind.

... I thought that MAQS works partly because the bees walk about on it and try and drag it out of the hive ... thus spreading the stuff all around the place and the odour with it.

No, that's Apiguard (Thymol).

MAQS uses Formic Acid. Its just a much safer way (for the beekeeper!) of using it, compared to the more traditional Nassenheider evaporator. Its the vapour that does the business. The 'wet paper packets' are supposed to survive undamaged, retaining all the gel. And its supposedly a clever membrane, not wet paper …

Dusty - the rectangular hive in the drawings is a Langstroth. Hey, this is North America, is there a different hive?
Langstroths are top beespace. So there is no guarantee of any space for the strip above the QX.

So, for top beespace, it kinda makes sense to tell people to put the strips where the space is.
But for a National, with bottom beespace, I think the instructions' illustrations show something that can be a physical impossibility with some QXs … :)

And in such circumstances, I freely admit that I do tend to try and think, rather than just try to follow instructions that were conceived with a different situation in mind.

You do know that a super goes on top which creates a beespace

Thank you, itma.

I see I have made an error.

But how irresponsible to put that out in the UK!

I will try to think instead of being blindly obedient.
But after being married for 43 years, that's quite a challenge.

Dusty.

Formic acid can corrode some metals, from the FAQs (from the website http://www.maqs.co.uk/uploads/1/4/3/7/14371138/uk_maqs_faqs.pdf )
On the product label it states: “This product is corrosive. Do not allow product to contact metal surfaces.” Are the strips safe to use with metal queen excluders?
Formic acid vapours are corrosive to ferrous metals, but not to aluminium or most stainless steels. Some queen excluders get a white powder on them and will show rust around the edges over time. Plastic excluders are not affected; there are now some good ones available.​
My QXs are stainless steel, a couple of them had some white powder residue but no immediate signs of corrosion. I'm guessing that, apart from beespace, it makes little difference whether the pads are on top of or beneath the QX though, because it's the vapour that does the corroding.

P.S. It's worth reading the FAQs for information additional to the user-instructions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back