Cut comb honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am going to have a go at selling some cut comb honey. Please can anyone tell me what size to cut and how much should I sell it for.

size is whether you have bought purpose comb boxes, as that denotes the size/weight, or whether your going to use old take away cartons in which case, cut to that size

I use purpose boxes, and a comb cutter from T****** supplies, around 8oz in weight and sell at £6

I have a comb cutter from a leading supplier. I cut each of those bit in half lengthways. the height is ok to fit in a 1lb jar. i sell mine for £6.50.
Sorry. read that wrong. i described for adding a bit of cut comb in a jar of honey. why not try that too.

Ok, the plastic containers I have just looked at describe themselves as 8oz. I presume that means the comb should weigh likewise. Is that the best size to sell. If so what is the optimum retail price. Also, do I need a special cutter or can I just use a hot knife?

i cut mind with a hot knife to fit the container, usually around the 9-10oz mark and sell for £5, i have a good bit of heather cut comb to sell but yet to cut it, what price is it fetching hivemaker?

Darren

Ok, the plastic containers I have just looked at describe themselves as 8oz. I presume that means the comb should weigh likewise. Is that the best size to sell. If so what is the optimum retail price. Also, do I need a special cutter or can I just use a hot knife?

The all-clear plastic are much less fuss than the clear-lid-only type.

They will comfortably hold an 8oz piece.
But due to variable comb thickness, it can be hard to get an accurate weight.
Using the special cutter gives you a consistent size - but not necessarily a consistent weight! (The cutters are often to be found in Thorne's sale lists - at which price it is worth having one.

I offer my cut comb at 8oz of comb for the same price as a 1lb jar.

Offcuts from your cutting can go into a jar (as much or as little comb per jar as you choose) and be sold as "chunk honey" for a little more than 'ordinary' honey.

Are there any special labling requirements? I've got a few pieces of cut comb to try to sell, just to see if there is a market locally. They are not all the same weight so I intend to mark the actual weight on the container - and price accordingly. I'm assuming that the other details have to be the same as for a jar of honey.

Are there any special labling requirements? I've got a few pieces of cut comb to try to sell, just to see if there is a market locally. They are not all the same weight so I intend to mark the actual weight on the container - and price accordingly. I'm assuming that the other details have to be the same as for a jar of honey.

Yes, name address etc product origin and whatever weight you ae selling

Thanks for all the info so far.
Would the general opinion be a special comb cutter is imperative or can I just use a heated knife (my de-capping one).

Thanks for all the info so far.
Would the general opinion be a special comb cutter is imperative or can I just use a heated knife (my de-capping one).

Use any knife you are comfortable with. I only use a 'special' comb cutter because I acquired a whole load of them for a few pounds on fleabay (not often you get a beekeeping bargin there!) including a 'rare' 12 oz one - dunno what I'll do with that!

I put in comb and weigh each packet and charge PER GRAMME unless the net weight is 227g.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought labelling was only needed if selling via a shop or market, but from the door it was not needed??

although I have a comb cutter, it produced chunks slightly smaller than the packaging, so this time I used a cardboard template and cut the comb with a knife (not warm)
will weigh it once packaged and price accordingly

I bought some 500ml jars from town today as I had run out of jars, filled with chunky honey, on weighing them, they are all around 2.4lbs,
so with a normal 1lb jar of honey selling at £6, I'm thinking I should sell this for at least £10 jar?? or am I wrong, your thoughts?

Much, much more, Ratcatcher. Based on £6/lb, honey would be £14.40 and comb is dearer.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought labelling was only needed if selling via a shop or market, but from the door it was not needed??

although I have a comb cutter, it produced chunks slightly smaller than the packaging, so this time I used a cardboard template and cut the comb with a knife (not warm)
will weigh it once packaged and price accordingly

I bought some 500ml jars from town today as I had run out of jars, filled with chunky honey, on weighing them, they are all around 2.4lbs,
so with a normal 1lb jar of honey selling at £6, I'm thinking I should sell this for at least £10 jar?? or am I wrong, your thoughts?

Latest posts

Back