New varroa levels in hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dared

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
now 6!
Had a talk tonight from the Bee inspector about things to be done this time of year and one thing he mentioned was that after extensive research it looks like the recommended levels for varroa in the hive is to be reduced to 500 from 1000 / 1500. Not sure how this will impact on recommendations for treatment during the year.

The wrong way to go about it IMHO.
Varroa breed, its what they do, its a fools errand trying to keep their numbers below a threshold with constant repeated treatments.
Stopping imports, and so stabilising pathogen and parasite populations, coupled with breeding rugged bees capable of coping with a bit of varroa and the endemic virus is the way to go about it in my opinion.

Varroa breed, its what they do, its a fools errand trying to keep their numbers below a threshold with constant repeated treatments.
Stopping imports, and so stabilising pathogen and parasite populations, coupled with breeding rugged bees capable of coping with a bit of varroa and the endemic virus is the way to go about it in my opinion.

Agree better controlled breeding would seem the way forward. Maybe the proposals from the eu where all livestock holers incl beekeepers have to register and keep records of sales etc may help to control things. I, ve not seen the document yet but was supposidly released yesterday. Could be interesting to see the response it receives.

+1 ... Bang on MBC !

Had a talk tonight from the Bee inspector about things to be done this time of year and one thing he mentioned was that after extensive research it looks like the recommended levels for varroa in the hive is to be reduced to 500 from 1000 / 1500. Not sure how this will impact on recommendations for treatment during the year.

This was also the message from the Bee Inspector at the Tradex (but without the figures.) As I understood things, the combination of varroa + DWV is linked to reduced colony size (50%) so keeping varroa levels as low as possible is the logical conclusion. This did not involve additional treatment but use of a Summer/Autumn and a brood break treatment.
Cazza
P.S He also said there was no current rigorous evidence of colony self management/symbiosis being developed at the present time.
Cazza

Agree better controlled breeding would seem the way forward. Maybe the proposals from the eu where all livestock holers incl beekeepers have to register and keep records of sales etc may help to control things. I, ve not seen the document yet but was supposidly released yesterday. Could be interesting to see the response it receives.

It might be workable with cattle and other Farm animals but with Bees mating on the wing with input from feral drones there isn't a hope in hell of being useful in controlling breeding.

We will keep to our usual treatment regime...

Applying insulation to >0.5W/C and enabling bees to regulate both temperature and humidity.

Hi all,
First of all I was of the understanding that there is no absolute level as 1,000 mites will not have the same impact on a colony at the height of the build up as it will on a colony in February the low point as far as number of bees are concerned.
Fera leaflet states "... in the UK researchers agree that it is wise to aim to keep the Varroa population below 1000 mites; above this level the risk of damage from the mites, associated pathogens and the effect of feeding on the bees can quickly become very significant."
Varroa doubles every month as Finman is always pointing out, so the efficacy rate of the treatment is paramount. People who did not OA at Christmas will have to be extra vigilant particularly if they are dealing with small clusters. You cannot monitor varroa drop if the OMF is covered in dead bees as most of them will be! However, most of us will be able to clear the floors this weekend.
Also, as this forum has proved to me, monitoring of natural varroa drop is not accurate estimate of the number of varroa in the hive for various reasons, and can only confirm that you have varroa not that you don't.

with breeding rugged bees capable of coping with a bit of varroa.

What about breeding friendlier varroa? That's the other half of the equation. Potentially faster progress possible as varroa generations are much shorter than queen bee generations. We already know varroa adapt quickly due to selection pressure.

What about breeding friendlier varroa? That's the other half of the equation. Potentially faster progress possible as varroa generations are much shorter than queen bee generations. We already know varroa adapt quickly due to selection pressure.

Indeed, that is why stopping imports which add new varroa and virus in to the mix is an important part of the equation.

"P.S He also said there was no current rigorous evidence of colony self management/symbiosis being developed at the present time."

How rigorous do you need? Many people already keep bees fine without many/any varroa treatments. I wouldnt have thought there'd be much money in a rigorous examination of this though, its in the researchers interest that there is a continuing problem needing continuous new research and input to combat.

I wouldnt have thought there'd be much money in a rigorous examination of this though, its in the researchers interest that there is a continuing problem needing continuous new research and input to combat.

Unfortunately you are probably right. "Sick bees" is a very emotive subject and everyone from BBKA, Friends of the Earth, etc. etc. are playing that card, all with their own agenda. Very depressing really.

its in the researchers interest that there is a continuing problem needing continuous new research and input to combat.

Of course.

and after all the grants and research, nobody seems to have an answer after how many years?

Quite true, mbc. How often have people heard weaseling words, or terms that they do not comprehend (and assume it is what they want to hear)?

Tobacco industry for years claimed there was no definitive connection with lung cancer. Anti seat belters claimed someONE would have died if they had been wearing a seat belt in ONE accident scenario. Claims that there was no evidence found that living under high tension power lines was detrimental to health (they probably used Nelson's blind eye technique for that one). No proven link of lung cancer to asbestos. No firm evidence that coal miners lungs were at risk from mining activities. Insect-friendly insecticides. The list goes on...and on...and on.

Just one word inserted can make all the difference to those that analyse what is said and those that gleefully soak it up as gospel, definitive and true!

RAB

Unfortunately you are probably right. "Sick bees" is a very emotive subject and everyone from BBKA, Friends of the Earth, etc. etc. are playing that card, all with their own agenda. Very depressing really.

I recently read an excellent post on the Scottish forum along these lines;
"I also think there needs to be a shift in focus away from "the bees are in decline" to "help the beekeepers keep going"."

Dont know what percentage of UK beeks are on this forum, but did any of you here participate in this "extensive research"

Are we due for another research paper about breeding grooming bees soon?

Dont know what percentage of UK beeks are on this forum, but did any of you here participate in this "extensive research"
Are we due for another research paper about breeding grooming bees soon?

I think the bee inspector may be referring to the national sample collection via Beebase. certainly the sample size was large and the results should be published this year.
Cazza

As most will know I never "treat" in anyway what so ever for the mite or anything else and my bees success speaks for itself...

.....equally I suspect I'm not on my own with this, the ferals are doing OK round these parts as well.

Chris

No idea whether or not it may be part of this story, but there are still more results to come from the "Random Apiary Survey".

As most will know I never "treat" in anyway what so ever for the mite or anything else and my bees success speaks for itself...

.....equally I suspect I'm not on my own with this, the ferals are doing OK round these parts as well.

Chris
:welcome:

Welcome to the DARK SIDE , always welcome to join us down here in France .:):sunning:

Latest posts

Back