National matchstick standard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2" round nails work just as well

I think that admirably demonstrates there are dinosaur beekeepers on this forum, too.

Now lets think about that; dinosaurs reputedly became extinct around 64 million years ago, while homo sapiens only arrived about 70 thousand years ago, if that!

Last edited:
Oliver

Maybe you misunderstood, one uses the shank of the nail instead of a matchstick. one doesn't hammer it in....
That would be silly!

Maybe you misunderstood, one uses the shank of the nail instead of a matchstick. one doesn't hammer it in....
!

Oh, I don't know - would stop some people fiddling around unneccessarily in the brood box well too late in the season!

As an amateur Woodturner I would like to offer to forum members a range of different sized hand turned "Ventilation assists"

These are made in Various hardwoods and should last a lifetime! However please let me know if you would like them turned either Left or Right handed.

PM for details :laughing-smiley-014

I have had year 4 children measure a number of different boxes of safety matches this afternoon as an exercise in size distribution and using vernier guages, and there is up to 1mm difference within a box and up to 3mm between boxes!

My headmaster who is not a keeper of bee said that he had complaints from parents as they all had a lot of different uses for matchsticks and none of them involved the use of vernier gauges or statistical distribution
At least I stick to the Curriculum in novel ways!

Some it seems do not share the fun things in life!

James

No..for poly hive you need a carefully adjusted sky hook ;)

Can you use wooden matchsticks with a poly hive?

very funny... but dont go there...
You will probably get increased draft and heat loss compared to wood.
More energy retained in the internal air rather than lost through walls. That energy can present as extra bouyancy and convection.
Havent done the experiment but it may prove interesting

What one has to be careful about is if the bees get bored and remove the matchsticks and organise a fencing competition.
Should you notice that this has happened then be on you guard in case you get poked in the eye with a pointed stick.

Careful ... if the BBKA is reading this it could start a whole new trend ...

Read?

Theyll be selling DIY beehives with matchsticks kits.

Last edited:
Theyll be selling DIY beehives with matchsticks kits

They came close with the bamboo queen excluders on ePay from China a few year's ago....

Back